RECOMMENDATIONS Compare: Grandstream with Yealink?

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Just got another location that we're helping with a small office environment (~10 endpoints, all deskstations). They're transitioning out of another VOIP provider (who's managed to charge them >$400 MONTH for phone service!!) :eek:

They're currently using a 3-4 year old Polycom deskset - I think the IP650 (rented from the scam artist group)....

Am trying to best recommend a comparable unit for them to transition to, although the majority of features are utterly wasted on them (think "Office Space" as a good starting point, regarding user competence). The only things they'll use are a couple of speed-dials, and perhaps a method of parking calls. Conference calling, paging, etc - utterly impossible.

Was looking at the ~$90-100 price point of a station for them, and curious if anyone's played with the newer GXP2130 set.. I've got the 2110s at several locations, and while the handset ergo's aren't great, overall audio quality is just fine, and the units function perfectly well.

From what I can tell, this would be on-par with the Yealink T26p, regarding features.. The 2130 has a color display (whoooopty-do), but IMHO, it seems to be pretty comparable.

and at <$75, it's 50% less than T26...

Any opinions from the masses?

My Grandstream experience is about 3yrs - probably only 40-50 units total, and have had only one actually die (I think that one due to lightning, but unsure). That said, quality has always seemed to be .....par... nothing spectacular and nothing terrible..

Thoughts?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I've used the 2140 and 2160 and they work pretty good. They're the upgrade to the 2124 which was the upgrade to the 2110's. Firmware is much smarter with no real needs to reboot like sometimes was necessary on the 2110 if the internet had been lost where the remote client was. A nice thing on the 2140 and 2160 (which are in your price range) is that they include bluetooth straight from the factory. Price / Performance hard to beat. Never used the Yealink T26, but the T46 is a GREAT phone, but costs more money. The 2160 is nice because it has 24 Programmable/BLF's on the right side. Oh - and people do like that color screen, and you can make it have their company logo on it and they love that.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Open any graphics program - PC Paint even, setup window for 478 X 268, then paste in their image, resize as necessary. In the phone web portal - Settings->LCD Display->Wallpaper->Upload

By the way ... $400 / month for phone service for 10 lines - try Comcast or Packet8 or ATT and you'll find prices much higher. I wonder why they are "scam artists"?

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I guess the 'scam artist' depends on usage.

Figure rentals on the phone with some planned payback period then profit; call it = $100/month (likely higher when phones were new)

RentPBX = $15/month

400-100-15 = $285/month left for minutes/usage.

$285 / 10 people / 20 workdays month / 1.2cents per minute for flowroute = 2 hours on phone per head per day.

When the phones were new, I think they were $300 phones; this would leave even less 'talk time' if they were amortizing phone costs over a year or so and then taking profit on their outlay going forward.

I think my math is right, but my doctor has completely taken me off caffeine.

As an aside, I love the Yealink T46G that is now on my desk and with several other friends. Connecting over OpenVPN is a breeze to RentPBX and avoids all the issues we were having with Mitel phones and FIOS. Logos are easily dropped onto the phone (I think they were all more impressed by that than anything else), multiple phone books, clear screen and lots of buttons - good stuff.

Telephony depot has the T46G for about $154 + shipping (no tax). If you order a bunch at once they'll likely waive the shipping. Bluetooth adds about $30 for the dongle. More phone than the other Yealink, but really nice <g>.

Andrew

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Got to agree with Andrew there. It all depends on price points and number of buttons they need. I got GXP2160, GXP2140 w/ sidecar, and T46 w/ sidecar on my desk. If money is no issue - T46 but then cost is $155 + $82 for sidecar. If that's too much, if you need buttons and bluetooth - hard to beat the GXP2160 for under $100. Then the GXP2140 w/ Sidecar for nice pretty buttons is $85 + $82 for sidecar. So just depends on your price sensitivity and needs.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
good point, regarding pricing... I'm looking at it from a point of usage.. 10 extensions, local pbx, approx 10hrs of usage for the entire organization in a month, 100% to local phone numbers.. they're paying around $.75/ minute for actual phone use.. and this is people who wouldn't know the difference between a deskset and a wall phone.

That said, I need to get in a racket like that.. I over deliver and undercharge - chronic flaw of the engineer who's in business for himself. I help 'em buy the gear, charge 'em by the hour to set it up, and then I leave.

I *AM* the poster-child of the first 7 examples below.....

a_517_20140527140923.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.