TIPS Comcast

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
since Comcast started to roll out Business VoiceEdge in my market my customers using Comcast as an isp are having non-stop voice issues, coincidence?

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
how? My customer is right beside another Comcast customer who has also been using a 3rd Party Provider & PBX for 2 years with no issues.
Since the start of the year both businesses have seen there voice quality deteriorate and repeated Comcast truck-rolls to check the cable etc.
then today they get a mailing offering Comcast's hosted voice. I bet if they sign up it "magically" works despite the "congestion" issues!

Reaction score
Cable providers typically use VLANS for their own VOIP customers. You on the other hand are mixed in with all the other traffic.

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
I never use 5060 if I can help it.
I realize I'm at the mercy of the traffic on that switch I just wonder about the timing when the office next door has no issues worth mentioning for more than a year, while my customer had no issues for the 3 months they have been at this location and then, in January the first Comcast customers get turned up on their VOIP and suddenly everyone else has issues....

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
But the RTP traffic doesn't even carry on 5060; it's all in higher order ports . . . .they're probably just applying a much lower CoS to UDP traffic in general. Would have to sniff it to figure it out.

repat

Reaction score
It could be a legitimate line issue that the Comcast Plant Maintenance people can't isolate, but of course you'd never get them to admit it. It's a pain, but you have to keep on them until it's escalated to someone who can fix it. Both businesses should call in Daily to let them know it is affecting their service and business. Accusations of a conspiracy usually don't help things along. Just my .02

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
I'm simply asking the forum for opinions/experiences to establish a pattern if in fact there is one. I firmly believe in discouraging this line of thought with my customers as it is extremely hard to establish as a fact and hardly a fruitful line of inquiry to pursue when interacting with the ISP.
Having said that, if you (my peers) who participate in this forum are experiencing a similar pattern of events; wouldn't it be a good thing if we are all aware of this?

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
It may depend on how the provider of your DIDs processes registration? I have residential Comcast service, and I was experiencing registration problems over time similar to what has been described in this thread. My PIAF is version 20653. The Comcast service would often drop to "very slow" and registrations would become lagged and eventually time out. The entire PBX would effectively go off-line, though local calls were OK.

Usually the PIAF would recover registrations and no troubles were reported (often in the wee hours of the AM). System logs would report long periods of time when DID registrations would time out. When in "failure", Vitelity would report that the server was not available for any attempted call, a busy signal was returned to the caller. Except to reboot the server, no solution was found to restore service .

I contacted Vitelity, my provider, and was advised to change the "qualify=yes" in the trunk configuration settings (outgoing) to "qualify=no" . Prior to making this change, SipInfo (from the Reports tab) was reporting "Request Sent" for all of the configured DIDs (12) on this PIAF box. Since this change was made, I have NOT had any reported problems, failed registrations, or busy signals on incoming calls.

YMMV, but changing the qualify entry to "qualify=no" appears to have resolved the issues I was experiencing.

/Pete./

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.