FOOD FOR THOUGHT Comcast using IP6

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with Comcast using IP6 ? It's bitten me a couple times now when I had network issues and when I finally traced it down, I found that it was an IP6 related issue and that Comcast has been using IP6 more and more.

billsimon

Reaction score
Not with Comcast, but I run a few VoIP systems dual stack ipv4/ipv6. What problems are you having?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Several issues at different times. One example was a phone that was working fine one day, the next they did a reboot and then it wouldn't register. An investigation found that it was grabbing an IP6 address from the comcast router, and it wouldn't register properly. I had to manually set an IP4 address and disable the IP6 for it to begin working.

billsimon

Reaction score
Did it register its IPv6 address? What kind of phone?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Noticed that Time Warner had turned on IPv6 when I visited my mother-in-law in Columbia, SC last week. If it's hit Columbia, I would think it's been turned on pretty much everywhere.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
RE TWC -- Not everywhere (Central/Eastern Maine) If I run whatismyIP.com I get an IPv4 set. Tried to run whatismyipv6.net and got an IPv4 also (the IPv6 only test failed)

My router's WAN Port however has an IPv6 on it as well as the IPv4

They are slowly working on it but not quite complete

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Nothing here in 29585 with TWC. Haven't checked business class recent though.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I experienced two different specific items: 1 was a local PBX with a fixed IP4 address. A Grandstream phone 2140 configured with DHCP worked fine, but then when IP6 started to hand off the DHCP and no IP4, problems arose. Likewise, on the other problem I encountered, a phone that supported both IP4 and 6 was set to register to a remote DNS of pbx.office.com which had a public IP4 address. Using the NAT=YES on the PBX resulted in things working great (when the phone was grabbing an IP4 private IP). When the comcast router started handing out IP6, it failed to work. I had to manually set the phone to a static private IP4 address and then it worked fine, as I didn't see how to disable the IP6 DHCP forcing IP4 on the comcast router.

I got all things working fine, I just think in the future more and more people are going to experience these types of issues if carriers start to push the IP6 while people are still using the IP4. For example, with the remote PBX, I assume the NAT=yes is configured to work and works well with IP4, but when one end is IP6 and the other is IP4, I wonder if it chokes on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.