FOOD FOR THOUGHT CloudAtCost Not So Incredible

kenn10

Reaction score
I have to say that I was disappointed with the Ubuntu load. On my sandbox on the CloudAtCost servers, Ubuntu is a dog. Centos runs much better. Trying this on Centos 7 now. Load in progress.

Update: CAC failed during the install. Although I can open a console window from the website, the IP addresses are not accessible. CAC is just not reliable.

I'll try later.

CAC Down.jpg

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have to say that I was disappointed with the Ubuntu load. On my sandbox on the CloudAtCost servers, Ubuntu is a dog. Centos runs much better. Trying this on Centos 7 now. Load in progress.

Update: CAC failed during the install. Although I can open a console window from the website, the IP addresses are not accessible. CAC is just not reliable.

I'll try later.

View attachment 1811

Are you sure iptables isn't blocking the inbound ping test?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

I'll try later.

View attachment 1811

CloudAtCost is obviously having problems (again). I built an Ubuntu VM and a CentOS 6.5 VM yesterday, and neither one would come up, even waiting overnight. Sooner or later, they've got to get better, or they'll be gone.

kenn10

Reaction score
OK. I deleted the old server and spun up a new Centos 7 one. It took about an hour for the reimage but that's better than it has been. The new server is running quite fast so I'll see how the install goes.

Update:

OK. I cannot make the install work with Centos 7 64-bit on my Cloud at Cost server. It borks the Ethernet connection every time. Ubuntu 14.04 worked but was dog slow.

I'm trying it with Centos 6.6 this time. I suspect the grub modifications but haven't gone in depth enough to be sure.

kenn10

Reaction score
Here is my experience:

Centos 6.6 install on Cloud at Cost servers went flawlessly. Everything works as expected. Ubuntu 14.04 install on Cloud at Cost works but seems very sluggish. Centos 7 install just does not work after the first reboot from yum update because Ethernet is lost.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here is my experience:

Centos 6.6 install on Cloud at Cost servers went flawlessly. Everything works as expected. Ubuntu 14.04 install on Cloud at Cost works but seems very sluggish. Centos 7 install just does not work after the first reboot from yum update because Ethernet is lost.
Try not switching to eth0.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Not to jump on the bashing bandwagon, but ever since I went to "pro" with them my servers will not remember the root password. It constantly reverts to the one they generate. I gave up a few weeks ago and figured I would wait for a while before trying again. Like Ward says.... its has to get better... right?

kenn10

Reaction score
Not to jump on the bashing bandwagon, but ever since I went to "pro" with them my servers will not remember the root password. It constantly reverts to the one they generate. I gave up a few weeks ago and figured I would wait for a while before trying again. Like Ward says.... its has to get better... right?

Well lets just leave it at being "just OK" for a sandbox. I'd never try to use it for production again, even for a small home system. I don't have the password issue, just the gawd-awful slowness of their VM.

TheMole

Guru
Reaction score

there is a reoccurring issue with Cloud At Cost where they have a one time boot up script that lives in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S97....sh and it does not clear itself after running the first time.

you need to remove this script then reboot the server. then change your root password.

additionally, the script halts processing of any startup scripts north of S97 and will cause them not to load -- for example, webmin installs itself as S99, so that also fails to load.

---

I have had mixed results with CaC. I've built out a number of test machines, using CentOS 6.6 and 7 and i found that 7 is unreliable. CentOS builds correctly about 85% of the time -- in some cases I have been assigned an IP that is already being used elsewhere, so the machine cannot be configured. Other times I have not been able to connect to the console. And other times, the machine is painfully slow, so i trash it and start over.

I agree with the other poster who said that they need to get their act to together or they will be sunk.

---

I love the idea of being given a pool of resources and be able to deploy them as i see fit -- and essentially have unlimited public IP addresses in the process.

---

Finally, i wish they would give me the option to move a VM to another site.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score

same issue here, on centos 6.5 installs, still checking the rest, currently playing with ubuntu 12.04 on cloudatcost.

I'm also quite scared of openssh 7.0 not allowing root in over ssh by default, I already do not have access to my goflexhome due to this, my own fault for not setting up a secondary account, but this means any new containers they make need to have a user account by default

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Moved this content to a new thread since it focuses primarily on Cloud At Cost shortcomings.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.