GOOD NEWS Cisco Presence Patch update

Reaction score
This is mainly aimed at all Cisco handsets apart from the SPA series. Regular followers will know I am a diehard 7941 user and wrote the bible on these in the resources section ;)

I wanted to give an update to my resource at http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?resources/cisco-7900-series-presence-patch.11/ as I have been busy today. Cisco have released the 9.4 firmware for 7900 series recently and as a spring clean I decided to upgrade my handsets to keep security up to date. At the same time it has been some time since I updated Asterisk.

When I wrote the linked resource I was on 11.3. Today I used the same principles to upgrade Asterisk to 11.12.0 and to apply Gareth's presence patch. For me at least, that has meant I now get a snazzy little 'record' button that I can hit for on-demand call recording.

If you want to try the same, in my guide substitute 11.12.0 for 11.3.0 in the first section of code, the rest is all the same.

In the second part of the code again substitute 11.12.0 on the patch (having made sure you download that version of patch and putting it in /usr/src). Ignore the line /configure as this is not needed. **Important** - when you get to line 2 of the second part of code it'll tell you cannot find the file, all you have to do is type it in so if it says something like cannot find asterisk/chan/sip.c (or whatever) just type in chan/sip.c (so the last part of the directory and the file name).

Then in extensions_custom.conf you need to add
Code:
exten => record,1,Answer
same => next,Wait(1)
same => next,Record(${ASTSPOOLDIR}/record/${RECORD_UNIQUEID}-${RECORD_PEERNAME}-${RECORD_DIRECTION}.wav,,,akqx);
same => next,Hangup(normal_clearing)

Put the latest gareth-softkeys.xml into your tftpboot (I edited it to include the Record button so it appears in the during call buttons), restart your system (I did a full restart with shutdown -r now command), then restart your phone once your system is back up (usually it's by pressing settings then * * # #).

Hope this helps others, well worth the update. I am still on a Raspberry Pi with this so the patching took quite a long time but you can just leave it to do its thing, actually if you're configuring the 7900 series then patching is probably one of the more simple things you can do.

I do have a question though - does anyone know if I can alter the record tags somehow in the conf file so it only records one file with both incoming and outgoing audio mixed together instead of having two channels?

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, When I tried to renew my smartnet contract this year, they said my phones, 794o's and 7960's and 7970's were all EOL and they refused to accept my money -

Where did you get the new firmware from, and does it support the older zero series or only the newer one series phones ?

Cisco have released the 9.4 firmware for 7900 series recently

=====================

Reaction score
I seem to think Cisco only allowed firmware downloads with a paid service contract, but certainly for 7900 series I have been able to download for free just by creating a guest account with them.

As you've alluded to, you have either the older zero series and newer one/two series. The current firmware for 7940/7960 series is 8.12 released in May 2009. The current firmware for newer 79x1 and 79x2 series is 9.4 released earlier this month.

Never tried the patch with 7940 but there are others in the JIRA link (via my resources page) who are reporting the patch works with 7970 series. On 7940/7960 YMMV so see how you go.

And golden rule applies, backup backup backup, I am not responsible for the harming of kittens or stealing sweets from children etc etc ;)

Reaction score
I have updated my guide at http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?resources/cisco-7900-series-presence-patch.11/ tonight to include how to get DND hints reporting properly to Asterisk, and how to stop callers getting a ringing tone when calling a station set to DND.

I have noticed if I set the dndbusy=yes flag as described in my resources, I no longer get the subscribed hint to my parking lot. Could anyone suggest a way of getting around this, or does setting these handsets to dndbusy automatically unsubscribe the handset from hints whilst DND is set?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.