TIPS Cisco HELP!

thepainter

Reaction score
A request from the Cisco Diehards (of which I'm one). Strange things are happening. After a power surge I had to start all over again. No, I didn't have my backup but I did save my t*f*t*p files (SEP.cnf.xml etc.) I fortunately have a fairly small home setup so was able to get up and running fairly quickly. My problem is I have 5 cisco 7970's and using the exact files that were working before can only get 2 registered. the other 3 are constantly stuck in the registering/restarting loop. I checked the status messages and keep getting a 'No trust list installed' and 'Error updating Locale' error message. I am running the latest firmware SIP70.9.3-1SR2-1S. I've tried rebooting and re-installing firmware but get no love. It's strange that the other 2 using similar SEP.cnf.xml register no problem. The only difference is probably in the extension number.

Any Ideas?

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll hear from a Cisco person but in the meantime I've noticed that a lot of the registration issues come down to enabling TCP and changing NAT settings on the extension.

Reaction score
Hi Paul, those do sound strange errors. I seem to remember in my very early days I had an issue with the locale message but actually the message was a red herring and had nothing to do with the actual problem which was registration so you may find you're experiencing the same thing.

You must have a t*f*t*p server running otherwise the other two wouldn't run. I'm pretty convinced this is a registration issue. Here's what I would try step by step:

1 - check username and password. I've stared at a screen so long before I haven't noticed one tiny error and it could be something as simple as this. I have a secure password but because my handsets are all on a small home network they all share the same password and I only change the username. You should check your config file and FreePBX extension screen.

2 - check your phone has the right address for t*f*t*p via the settings button on the handset. Possible the surge knocked a stored setting out so you need to tell the handset where the t*f*t*p server is.

3 - as Brian suggests is TCP enabled on all handsets? Remember you need to have tcpenable=yes in your additional settings on FreePBX, TCP on your extension screen, and your config file must be configured to use TCP as the transport (check my Cisco guide in the resources section for what number you need as transport, I think it's 1 in the latest firmware off the top of my head).

I'm suspecting NAT isn't a problem at the moment. If you get really stuck then take a known good config file, copy it and rename it to the MAC of one of the handsets you're having problems with. If this lets you on then you know there's a problem with your config file, if it doesn't you know the problem is somewhere else.

And as a final piece of advice - don't give up, have patience and if you're feeling overwhelmed walk away and take a break. It's rare these phones get damaged in power surges and that you have 2 suggest to me it's a setting somewhere rather than a hardware fault so I reckon you're likely to get to the bottom of this with a little help from us.

thepainter

Reaction score
You must have a t*f*t*p server running otherwise the other two wouldn't run. I'm pretty convinced this is a registration issue. Here's what I would try step by step:

1 - check username and password. I've stared at a screen so long before I haven't noticed one tiny error and it could be something as simple as this. I have a secure password but because my handsets are all on a small home network they all share the same password and I only change the username. You should check your config file and FreePBX extension screen.

2 - check your phone has the right address for t*f*t*p via the settings button on the handset. Possible the surge knocked a stored setting out so you need to tell the handset where the t*f*t*p server is.

3 - as Brian suggests is TCP enabled on all handsets? Remember you need to have tcpenable=yes in your additional settings on FreePBX, TCP on your extension screen, and your config file must be configured to use TCP as the transport (check my Cisco guide in the resources section for what number you need as transport, I think it's 1 in the latest firmware off the top of my head).

I'm suspecting NAT isn't a problem at the moment. If you get really stuck then take a known good config file, copy it and rename it to the MAC of one of the handsets you're having problems with. If this lets you on then you know there's a problem with your config file, if it doesn't you know the problem is somewhere else.

And as a final piece of advice - don't give up, have patience and if you're feeling overwhelmed walk away and take a break. It's rare these phones get damaged in power surges and that you have 2 suggest to me it's a setting somewhere rather than a hardware fault so I reckon you're likely to get to the bottom of this with a little help from us.

1. check, I'm like you re: password.
2. check - did a manual t*f*t*p set. Did known config file that works -no love.
3. changed extension to TCP, changed SIP to tcp=enable. No Love. tcptransport>1<tcptransport
4 Think I'll take your advice and walk away for the weekend.

P.S. - Update, for no particular reason (that I know of) One of the phones registered and the other two are doing the same loop "registering/restarting". Now I'm starting to know where Ward is coming from. Maybe I'll take another break.

Reaction score
Just on point 2 - try on your handset going to network config, IPv4, 'yes' to alternate t*f*t*p, then t*f*t*p server 1 make sure that's your t*f*t*p IP address. (You will probably need to unlock the settings to allow you to do this - watch the padlock on the display and it's either **# or **##** I think). I'm guessing you've done this but wasn't certain from what you wrote.

Take a break like you say then we can go by it step by step to see what we can do. Chin up!! :)

(PS are the handsets on the same LAN? Trying to think of all options, when you try a known good config file try connecting the same cable as the known good handset to check it's not some sort of LAN issue, and may want to check your switch/router config to make sure they're not being allocated to a different virtual LAN).

thepainter

Reaction score
Well, after a couple of deep breaths and completely walking away an "ah ha" moment came to me and after a long process of elimination I have finally figured it out. I actually had a couple of phones registered so I wasn't totally dead in the water. My phones kept registering in a constant loop and it turns out that each phone had an extension set up specifically for my intercom. My line secret password turned out to be correct but for the phones that didn't register my intercom extension secret password was incorrect. Long story short I changed the password, did a reboot and voila. Now I have to get my door phone working again using my obi 110 as an extension. Time for another break. had i not gotten my cisco phones at a steal and with help from the forum especially 'snarpatroid' they could well have been out the door. However, when they are up and running I'm very happy with them. Thanks for the encouragement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.