QUESTION Cisco 7971 + 7915 or 7916 using SIP?

dpaks51

Reaction score
A while back I worked on getting a Cisco 7914 working with Gateth's BLF patch attached to a 7961 and have been happily using this combination on a couple phones along with some 7940's at 2 sites. Rossiv: I think you were also working on some Cisco/BLF items at the time (before the big crash).

So on the home system, in the evening hours (prime phone scammer time) it gets kinda challenging to see the callerID on the screen from a distance to determine if I want to answer the phone or not. So I got a 7971 with a back-lit color display. This now works well and the callerID is easily visible. Problem now is the speed-dials are hard to see when I want to call the kids down to clean up the dinner dishes. (OK - maybe its also my eyes when the lighting is low....)

Well, I picked up a 7915 as a precursor to locating a good deal on its sister 7916 (with its color back-lit display) and have been fiddling with it to no avail. I successfully once got it to load the latest B015-1-0-4-2.SBN (showed in T-F-T-P logs), but then it was looking for /flash0/sidecar/S00105000400.SBN. I then created the dirs, and copied the file (this was the same as the 7914 used... huh?) and after a restart it now only pulled that file.

After all these times, the furthest it got was to display the CISCO logo screen, turn on both page buttons, then turn them off. Then the dialplan.xml file is requested and nothing further happens.

I put the 7914 back with its corrrect <loadInformation> and all works just dandy, lines, speed dials and BLF, , PoE on the phone, "power brick" on the 7914, so the cabling and power are OK. The dialplan.xml is requested once the lines start showing up on the 7914 so clearly this is the last step in the process.

Has anyone successfully gotten a 7915 or 7916 working with Asterisk using SIP? I have no problem manually editing the phone config files as needed - that's the only way I can get the speed dials in since the 2.10 OSS does not support this.

My system is a bit old, but stable: 1.8.12 with Gareth's Cisco BLF patch, FreePBX 2.10.1.2, (OSS) EPM 2.10.3.7, a custom Cisco Brand file supporting 7961+7914 (20 lines), and custom SEPmac.cnf.xml template with 7914 support.

I'd be OK with going to a later version of PIAF if that's what's needed. I recently assembled another Atom system to be used as a backup to the 2 sites running. I'd also like to look at the new commercial EPM since Cisco is now supported (it wasn't when I set this system up).

Any thoughts/guidance as to what gets the 7915/7916 showing lines, or how to further troubleshoot this is appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.