QUESTION Change CID for cell phone that is part of Ring Group

Tom Clark

Reaction score
PIAF: 2.0.6.4
FPBX: 2.11.0.41
Asterisk: 11.3.0

I want to add a cell phone to a ring group for incoming business calls. I want to be able to know when an incoming call to the cell phone is a business call going through the PBX and when it is a non-business call. I've been trying to change the CID that is being sent to the cell phone to a known bogus number so that I can create a contact with that number with a name of "Business Call" or whatever. So far I have been unsuccessful. I've tried creating a separate Outbound Route with a Route CID of my choosing, but that hasn't worked. The calls from the PBX are still showing the CID of the originating caller. The Outbound Caller ID for the trunk is blank. Setting the Mode to Fixed CID Value at the Ring Group level changes the CID for the other members of the Ring Group as well as the cell phone, which I don't want. Is there a way to accomplish my goal?

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Go into the ringgroup page and scroll to the bottom of page. There is a section called Change External CID.

It should read Default. change to Outside Fixed CID value. In the next box put your Bogus CID you want and submit and apply changes.

I see onlt 1 problem here is it will change to the Bogus CID for ALL people in the group not just your cell phone (and again some carriers may dump obviously bogus CID values.

Another option is to create a "virtual extension (say your deskextensionwith a 1 after it -- e.g. desk is 2556 - Virtual ext for Cell 25561)

Then add the 25561 to the ring group instead of your cell number

Then set the extension's followme so that it will force your bogus CID on your Cell only (also near bottom of the Follow Me page)

This may be what you need.

Good Luck

Jason Jensen

Reaction score
I have a similar question. I would like to add a cell phone to a ring group. I created a virtual extension and made it a part of the ring group. The virtual extension routes to the miscellaneous destination that dials the cell phone number? Did I do something wrong, or are there specific settings that the virtual extension requires? It doesn't work properly for me.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
just use a FOLLOW ME and put the cell phone number in with a trailing "#" in for the follow me extension. I do this all the time.
you can also prepend the Callerid with text saying whatever you want. I do this on each DID I have to that way I know which one the call comes in on

leon

Jason Jensen

Reaction score
Thank you. I ended up just typing in my cell number as 1234567890# in the ring group. This seems to be the easiest solution. I still couldnt get the follow me settings on the virtual extension to work as I wanted. I put the ring time down to 1 and it still never forwards on to the followme.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
when you create the virtual extension then create the matching followme and put the cell # in with a trailing # as the extension to call

that should work!

leon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manne
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.