Can't make Calls outside my area code...

koreystanley

Reaction score
I have a strange problem where if i dial any 10 digit number that doesn't start with '732' as in '6095553344' it wont work usually... but if I try 3 or 4 times it will eventually work?? My local area code is 732 and every number we dial usually begins with these 3 numbers but a couple of times a day i need to call a different area code or even an '800' number. It is very frustrating to myself and other employees to have to dial the same number 3 or 4 times...

The error I get from the auto attendant is "Due to area code changes you must now dial the area code along with the 7 digit number to complete this call. Please redial using the 10 digit number." ???

I am dialing a 10 digit number and if I watch the console it is sending the 10 digit number. My dial plan does not strip any digits. Also that fact that it works after 3 or 4 attempts also shows that it is passing all 10 numbers...

I am a Windows sys admin and a PBiaF newbie. My Linux understanding is pretty basic so I am not sure what else I should do to troubleshoot... any help would be much appreciated.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I have a strange problem where if i dial any 10 digit number that doesn't start with '732' as in '6095553344' it wont work usually... but if I try 3 or 4 times it will eventually work?? My local area code is 732 and every number we dial usually begins with these 3 numbers but a couple of times a day i need to call a different area code or even an '800' number. It is very frustrating to myself and other employees to have to dial the same number 3 or 4 times...

The error I get from the auto attendant is "Due to area code changes you must now dial the area code along with the 7 digit number to complete this call. Please redial using the 10 digit number." ???

I am dialing a 10 digit number and if I watch the console it is sending the 10 digit number. My dial plan does not strip any digits. Also that fact that it works after 3 or 4 attempts also shows that it is passing all 10 numbers...

I am a Windows sys admin and a PBiaF newbie. My Linux understanding is pretty basic so I am not sure what else I should do to troubleshoot... any help would be much appreciated.

You just need to add the country code before the area code. As in the number 1 for the US. Such as 1-999-999-9999

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
If you are dialing out on an analog trunk, this may be a volume issue on the DTMF tones. I have seen this behavior on Dahdi/Zap trunks where some numbers would go normally and others would not.

There is also the possibility that the carrier's dial plan is wrong. I have seen that once. Good luck on convincing them to change that.

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
that doesn't sound right

You just need to add the country code before the area code. As in the number 1 for the US. Such as 1-999-999-9999

a provider will either require the leading '1' or not - it isn't going to work sometimes and not other times.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
a provider will either require the leading '1' or not - it isn't going to work sometimes and not other times.

True. I'm just giving my suggestion since the user didn't post a log or the CLI.

Furthermore, this is a provider issue since asterisk doesn't have a recorded file that says "Due to area code changes you must now dial the area code along with the 7 digit number to complete this call. Please redial using the 10 digit number."

Would you agree on that?

koreystanley

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies...
Tm100 - i have tried adding the '1', doesn't seem to help.

Also these are analog lines but it was never a problem before I used PBiaF.... In fact right now I can plug an old POTS phone in a dial any number I want with no problem. The issue must be starting somewhere with the PBX. Something the PBX is passing is causing the message from the phone company.

Is there any way I can raise the volume on the DTMF Tones??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.