FYI Called Voicemail, delayed response to # Key

Reaction score
There is always some little feature - quirk that one can discover about Asterisk...

In the Feature Code section of FreePBX the default code for transfers is ##

Three things never occurred to me...

1. If you don't put a "T" in the General Settings box "Asterisk Outbound Dial command options" the feature code "##" will not function whether its enabled or not.

2. If you disable the Feature Code "##" then the transfer function will still work but then you'll only have to press "#" once.

3. Here's the big one... I always thought that when I dialed people's voice-mail (outside my system) and pressed the "#" key to skip their outgoing message that the delay (1-2 sec) between pressing the key and the interruption of their outgoing message was an RFC2833 -> DTMF delay issue. Its turns out that DTMF code 0,1-9 are transmitted immediately by Asterisk BUT the "*" & "#" are not! In my case the focus was on the "#" since its used so often. Asterisk delays the sending of the "#" key so that if it receives a second "#" it will initiate a transfer (assuming "T" is set). In most cases there is no need to enable the "T" option since SIP phone transfers don't need it and on most ATA's you can use a hook flash.

So if you want your usage of the "#" key to be immediate then disable "#" & "##" type transfers...

I had been using an "Inband" DTMF phone seting to overcome this issue but then Asterisk Feature Codes wouldn't work.

Regards,

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.