TIPS call route

Reaction score
Can someone tell me in termination when I place a call from my voip phone does it go to the carrier that supplies the DID first or directly to the PBX in a hosted or cloud situation ?

I am trying to figure out why an Aastra 67571 will register and receive calls from a location but cannot call out, yet I take that same phone to my office and it works perfectly.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Your phone is registered with your PBX. The call will go out the route that is defined there. It does not matter where in the world the phone is located. The routing is set up in the pbx.
You say it does not work from "a location", but it does work from your office. These are probably very different network situations. Is the PBX in the cloud or is it at your office? If it's at the
office, is it on the same LAN subnet as the phone? If so, there is no NAT situation. I bet that when you are at the "location", you are going over the internet, and the phone is getting a local
LAN IP from the "Location" router, and NAT is involved. If you mean you cannot dial (you get an error message played back to you) when you are at the "location", their is a possibility that
the phone is not correctly registering with the PBX -- what is your registration timeout? Perhaps the router at "location" is timing out on it's NAT port hole it is opening for the phone.
There are a couple of options for this -- turn on Qualify (qualify=yes) on the extension settings, and reduce the registration period from the phone (typically 3600 seconds -- try 900).

Without more detail, can't help further.

Reaction score
Sorry maybe I was not clear enough but you have misunderstood the question. The server is hosted with a static ip so never at location with local lan, all locations connect the same way over the internet and to the static ip. The issue is I have a client with 8 Aastra 6757i phones that have been working great for a year on my service. Friday they all lost the ability to make outbound calls, when they lost their Charter router and had it replaced...nothing changed on my server side. But the phones all still get out and register like always and can receive inbound calls ? I took a test phone Grandstream GXP 2100 there and it works fine in and out, so I took one of their phones back to my office where I am on ATT Uverse and it works fine in and out. So obviously somehow outbound traffic from the clients location is somehow being blocked on the Aastra phones but not on the Grandstream which made no sense to me. So my question was when placing that outbound call does it go over the internet to my server directly or through the carrier who provides their DID's? I always thought inbound went to the DID carrier first then routed to my end point or server then to where I had the inbound route going. But I thought outbound just went straight to my server and out the trunk I had setup. What caused this questioning is Charter the Clients ISP is saying they are not blocking anything out and it is a translation issue at the Carrier ??? I have dealt with no registration and one way audio and all that but never a situation like this where 8 specific phones could register and receive but not call out, yet another brand phone worked fine and then the client phone works from another location ? So it is not the 8 phones having issues, not the ISP blocking as the Grandstream works fine, and I question what Charter is saying about translation issues at the carrier ?

Jake

Reaction score
I've had trouble with comcast and their netgear provided modem. It's a known problem that it doesn't pass rtp correctly. I don't know what modems charter uses but if it's a new netgear that could be it.

Reaction score
Asterisk is a back to back user agent (B2BUA) which means it stays in the call path between the endpoints.

Your problem with outbound calling has zero to do with the Aastra registration, endpoint registration is used for inbound. The difference you see between the two sites are almost certainly explained by different router configs at each. The fact that problems started when you changed the router confirms this. Things you might investigate:
  • Any SIP ALG or SIP helpers enabled on the new router, disable them
  • Make sure the Aastra firmware is up to date

thanks so much I will give that a try

Reaction score
I've had trouble with comcast and their netgear provided modem. It's a known problem that it doesn't pass rtp correctly. I don't know what modems charter uses but if it's a new netgear that could be it.

Thanks for your input

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.