QUESTION Call recording prefix, and managing recordings

Reaction score
By default calls are not recorded but if I want to record a particular call I can toggle recording with *1 during the call. What can I do though to set a prefix so if dialled the system starts recording and captures the entire call from being placed to hanging up?

Then thinking about an easy way to manage recordings. The obvious way would be to deliver the calls to voicemail so they can be managed. How easy is it to set this up?

As I've mentioned on another thread I have a record soft button on Cisco 7941 which records two separate legs not a mixed file, I have to set up extensions_custom.conf to set up the 'record' button and the record action has the two files, I cannot get mixmonitor to work and I have tried doing it as a conference bridge which introduces an echo, this is ancillary to what I've mentioned above but if anyone still has ideas on this I'm not making any progress and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks as ever folks for any help you can offer.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Dunno if this helps much, but here's what I know...

I've tried several models on call recording, most of them unsuccessfully.

My best working method has been to set certain extensions to ALWAYS record, and then to throw away whatever files aren't needed. This has the side effect of leaving THOUSANDS of recordings (most of which do nothing more than clog up the system). So I have to do maintenance on some servers monthly to keep the PIAF box from becoming overloaded with files (the File Monitor tends to become erratic once you've got more than about 1200 recording files in that folder, from my experience)..

The only thing I've been able to get to work well has been a rather elaborate rsync contraption:
1. set up a daemon to rsync the /monitor folder to an external volume on another machine.
2. Delete outdated recordings on the internal/Piaf box (generally post 60 days). (from my experience you don't really needs many outside of about 30 days)..
3. Have the external volume compress and forward the files by email (if needed)..
(personally, I archive/zip them externally, and don't bother with email, as I don't want to overload an email account).

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think the info on call recording is really sparse online.

I'm sure there must be a way of directing all recordings to voicemail so they can be easily administered. I doubt many people have done this though.

Also I'm sure there must be a reasonably easy way of saying for example if I dial something like *1 then a phone number it tells the system start recording as soon as *1 is received.

Can I find how to do these things? Can I heck! If this was implemented in a call centre then I'd say people would be looking at routine call recording and there would be an easy way, but for an occasional ad-hoc recording solution the answers are a bit thin on the ground. It's rare I would ever want to record a call, but I can think of two companies at least in my situation (a mobile phone company and a cable company) who made promises that it would have been really useful to get those things recorded for when they retracted what they said.

Ultimately I can see I won't be able to progress this one though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.