Call Forwarding tweaking to ask for password

hurrymonkey

Reaction score
HowTo: Call Forwarding Security

A customer of mine alerted me to a huge security hole with freepbx Call Forwarding. I couldnt find this mentioned anywhere in this forum.
When enabled, any user can forward ANY extension to wherever they want without any restrictions.
After doing a little research, i found a temporary fix to the problem. After applying the changes below, the voicemail password for the extension must be entered before anyone can forward it. Credit goes to dickson (http://fonality.com/trixbox/forums/trixbox-forums/help/activate-call-fowarding-outside) and
kimkhan (http://fonality.com/trixbox/forums/trixbox-forums/help/call-forward-restrictions)

1. Drop the code below into your extension_custom.conf file
Code:
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,Playback(call-fwd-unconditional)
exten => s,n,Playback(please-enter-your&extension)
exten => s,n,Read(fromext,then-press-pound,,,,)
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,VMAuthenticate(${fromext})
exten => s,n(startread),Playback(ent-target-attendant)
exten => s,n,Read(toext,then-press-pound,,,,)
exten => s,n,GotoIf($["foo${toext}"="foo"]?startread)
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,Set(DB(CF/${fromext})=${toext})
exten => s,n,Playback(call-fwd-unconditional&for&extension)
exten => s,n,SayDigits(${fromext})
exten => s,n,Playback(is-set-to)
exten => s,n,SayDigits(${toext})
exten => s,n,Macro(hangupcall,)
 [custom-cf-off]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,Playback(call-fwd-unconditional)
exten => s,n,Playback(please-enter-your&extension)
exten => s,n,Read(fromext,then-press-pound,,,,)
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,VMAuthenticate(${fromext})
exten => s,n,dbDel(CF/${fromext})
exten => s,n,Playback(call-fwd-unconditional&de-activated&for&extension)
exten => s,n,SayDigits(${fromext})
exten => s,n,Macro(hangupcall,)

2. Go to the Tools from Freepbx and click on Custom Destinations. In  the Custom Destinations field enter the following: custom-cf-on,s,1
For description name as you please, I named it CallfwON
Now Submit. Once again create another Custom Destination. In  the Custom Destinations field enter the following: custom-cf-off,s,1
For description name as you please, I named it CallfwOFF
Now Submit.

3. To  prevent other disgruntled employees to screw up some one or your peers  playing prank with you by forwarding all your calls to a pizza shop next  door, you can implement the same security internally.
a. From freepbx Go to the feature codes and disable "call forward all activate" which is *72 and "call forward all deactivate" which is *73 (i deactivated all call forwarding feaetures)
b. Go to Misc. Applications and enter *72 in the feature Code field. For descritption I named it 'CallfwON-Internal'
c. for Destination select the Custom Applications radio button and choose CallfwON from the drop down menu.
d. Submit
e. Go back to Misc. Applications and enter *73 in the feature Code field. For descritption I named it 'CallfwOFF-Internal'
f. for Destination select the Custom Applications radio button and choose CallfwOFF from the drop down menu.
g. Submit
h. apply and reload settings

Thats it. Now dial *72 or *73 from your work phone and it will ask the ext. # followed by asking for the password.

mstults

Reaction score
You can limit outbound calls by extension. For instance, if you have an extension you wish to restrict long distance calls. I would guess the thinking is if you have an extension open to all calls, then why restrict just transfers.

hurrymonkey

Reaction score
You can limit outbound calls by extension. For instance, if you have an extension you wish to restrict long distance calls. I would guess the thinking is if you have an extension open to all calls, then why restrict just transfers.
this wouldn't be actually solved by restricting extensions, with for example custom contexts. The problem is that any user that has call forwarding enabled, is able to forward any extension on the system. For example, if user 300 dials *72, he is prompted for an extension number (ANY extension number is accepted without restriction), and then a phone number where to forward the calls.
This is very dangerous, because user 300 can enter any extension number he wishes (e.g. 400 or anything else), and have that extension forwarded to wherever he wants. With the above modifications, after an extension number is entered, the VM password for the extension also must be entered before they can continue.
This is actually a major issue that i am surprised has not been addressed yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.