QUESTION Calendar Based Call Forwarding?

Cypress Steel

Reaction score
So we have multiple teams in our organization that do on-call rotations. Typically its something like this:
  • Joe goes on call Wednesday July 9th thru July 16th
  • Craig goes on call Wednesday July 16th thru July 23rd
  • Justin goes on call Wednesday July 23rd thru July 30th
  • Repeat
So I have been looking for a calendar based call forwarding solution that will forward a single number to whomever's cell phone is on call and manage the rotation automatically. Basically we can give our customers one number and it will automatically call forward to whoever is on call that week.

I ran across this post with calendar integration, but it doesn't really go into specifics on automatically changing a call forwarding rule. Ideally I would like it to be integrated with an Exchange calendar. If the solution is better matched with a Google calendar, perhaps I can sync an Exchange calendar to the Google calendar.

So my questions:
  • Can this be done relatively easily? I don't mind a little scripting / setup, but I don't want it to turn into a 4 week project.
  • What pieces of software would I use? I am very new to this forum and solution, so I am not exactly sure how the different pieces work together: PIAB, FreePBX, Astricks, Incredible PBX, etc...To be clear, I only plan to use this solution for call forwarding.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

drmurdoch

Reaction score
Google should be all over this.
What a great way to "lock in" PBX users. Tie in Google Calendar, Tie in Gmail, tie in SMS messaging. Destroy the Telcos. .... and most importantly ....... collect data about people.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Why does google not take VOIP seriously ?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have no idea how to do this but here's how I think you could do it:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff769960.aspx

Setup a text SMS for calendar notifications. Have the calendar notify of the "meeting" of shift change to the SMS.
Setup Asterisk to send the inbound SMS to an AGI instruction which updates the CF database entry for the inbound route to the necessary misc. destination of the right phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.