R.I.P. Bricked Aastra 9133i?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I was installing a new switch in my network closet at home (POE!) and I conveniently failed to notice that my Aastra 9133i was in the stages of rebooting after a firmware update when I unplugged the old switch. I was able to get it into Web Recovery mode, but when it tried to t*f*t*p the firmware file, it always errored out with unspecified error or some such. I just moved it to an isolated POE switch and it just sits at "Aastra 9133i" even if I hold down the 1 and # keys to force a web recovery. Ideas anyone? I know it isn't the t*f*t*p server because I have tried the one in PIAF, TFTPD32, and PumpKIN as well all with different firmware files and none of them worked.

Code:
PBX in a Flash PURPLE Status
 ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

┌────────────────────────System Information───────────────────────────┐
                   │  Asterisk   = ONLINE  | Dahdi     = ONLINE  | MySQL     = ONLINE    │  
                   │  SSH        = ONLINE  | Apache    = ONLINE  | Iptables  = ONLINE    │  
                   │  Fail2ban   = ONLINE  | Internet  = ONLINE  | Ip6Tables = ONLINE    │  
                   │  BlueTooth  = ONLINE  | Hidd      = ONLINE  | NTPD      = OFFLINE   │  
                   │  SendMail   = ONLINE  | Samba     = OFFLINE | Webmin    = ONLINE    │  
                   │  Ethernet0  = ONLINE  | Ethernet1 = OFFLINE | Wlan0     = N/A       │  
                   │                                                                     │  
                   │  PBX in a Flash Version   = 1.7.5.6 Running on *HARDWARE*           │  
                   │  FreePBX Version          = 2.8.1.4                                 │  
                   │  Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.6.0                                 │  
                   │  Asterisk Source Version  = 1.8.6.0                                 │  
                   │  Dahdi Source Version     = 2.5.0.2+2.5.0.2                         │  
                   │  Libpri Source Version    = 1.4.12                                  │  
                   │  IP Address               = 192.168.4.2 on eth0                     │  
                   │  Operating System         = CentOS release 5.6 (Final)              │  
                   │  Kernel Version           = 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 - 32 Bit             │  
                   │                                                                     │  
                   └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

kenn10

Reaction score
I fear you have a new bookend. I had the same thing happen. It would never load the base firmware again. There were a couple of places I found that would charge $150 to fix it but it only cost me $40 when I bought it so I junked it. I'm starting to pick up 9143i units on EBay as I can and they work much better.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I fear you have a new bookend. I had the same thing happen. It would never load the base firmware again. There were a couple of places I found that would charge $150 to fix it but it only cost me $40 when I bought it so I junked it. I'm starting to pick up 9143i units on EBay as I can and they work much better.

:( Not what I was hoping, but what I was afraid of. I have emailed Aastra support. I wonder if they can do anything.

I found several phone numbers on their website for support, but I called one and got Enterprise support (at 11 last night), tried another with a different menu (said Reseller support, Enterprise gave me this #) but got the same guy. Tried a third and it said they were closed. Anyone know the *right* number to call for consumer support?

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
rossiv,

Have you tried using an alternative t*f*t*p server (like Pumpkin)? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the last part of your post, above.
While it's been a while, I had to go through recovery on a 57i once and recovery mode worked just fine.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Hooray! I have reanimated the dead (phone)!
As it turns out, something was up with the firmware files that I had downloaded. I just downloaded new files and the phone sprang back to life!

TFoozer

Reaction score
Hooray! I have reanimated the dead (phone)!
As it turns out, something was up with the firmware files that I had downloaded. I just downloaded new files and the phone sprang back to life!

Hi Ross,
I find myself in the same situation with an Aastra (Talkswitch branded) 9133i SIP phone. How in the world did you 'revive' your dead 9133i? I can't even ping my phone although a scan shows it is trying to pull an IP. All I have is a back-lit screen with no display and the 6 LED's in the top right side all lit steady.
I tried the 1 and # trick, no good. Powering it on and off a dozen times, no good. Can't FTPT since I can't access phone via IP, no good. Starting to think, phone, no good!!
Any suggestions, please?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Wow blast from the past! I honestly don't remember, past possibly uploading the firmware in recovery mode. If my memory serves, the phone was at a point where there was a basic web UI with nothing but firmware upload.

TFoozer

Reaction score
I know, it's been a few years! With this phone, I can't get it to go into recover mode or anything else. I suspect it is officially a brick! I was hoping that there was some kind of hard reset inside the phone, a jumper setting like on a motherboard that will reset BIOS or something like that. It would seem that the manufacturer had to approach the phone at some point where it had no software in it. How did they get to that point? Oh well, I suppose I'll need to look for another phone.
Thanks for your prompt response!!

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
@TFoozer,

For what it's worth...

If I remember correctly, a friend of mine wound up with some 9133is at his office (his boss bought them off of eBay) that used a proprietary interface in order for the phones to work. They weren't actually SIP phones. I don't recall what finally flagged it for him, but I think the firmware versions didn't match with what Aastra had for the SIP-based 9133is at the time. This has been about five or six years ago, so details (and my lack of any real involvement) are sketchy. I think he also had difficulty getting into any kind of recovery mode (it didn't exist for his phones?).

Like you, I think he eventually gave up on them.

TFoozer

Reaction score
Thanks Randy,
that's the sad part about this; when this phone was in service at the office, I was able to log into it and I often used its configuration to 'stare and compare' when troubleshooting other phones.
Funny you mentioned the non-SIP phone though. A few years ago I bought one on eBay and it would not install and that was because it was a non-SIP phone; I didn't know there were such things, assuming all of them were SIP. Like your friend, I could not get the firmware to install no matter what I did. Propitiatory interface, as you said, The seller took the phone back and gave me a refund.
Thanks for responding, I think this is a lost cause. I have one more resource who has helped me a lot in the past (Paul B.) and I have yet to hear from him. If he has good news, I'll be sure to let you guys know!
Thanks again! Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbradford
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.