blue.box?

kevinfvc

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has played with or deployed blue.box PBX. The documentation looks pretty good, though some sections are incomplete. There doesn't seem to be an active community.

I would love to hear from anyone that has installed it before I try to bring up a system.

Thanks - Kevin

billsimon

Reaction score
I've got a copy of blue.box installed. And that's it. I had wanted to dig into it and learn about it but I've gotten as far as installing FreeSWITCH and blue.box to a test server and seeing that blue.box successfully interacts with the underlying FreeSWITCH engine. That's it for now; it's a low priority.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Yes I know quite a bit about blue.box as I've been sub-contracted by them a few times.

I know their development staff personally and have flown out to work with them

darrellc

Reaction score
Testing as small conf bridge - good!

Our small consulting biz uses PIAF (hosted with Lylix), with a primary role as an audio conferencing server. We want wideband audio conferencing, which doesn't seem to be supported currently.

So I set up blue.box at rentpbx about 2 weeks ago and we're using for one of the conference rooms (bridges callers to the conf extension to the blue.box conference bridge).
We have had no more than 5 concurrent callers, but it is working great.

Was previously testing FusionPBX/Freeswitch hosted at Synapse Global, but decided to move to rentpbx so both my PIAF and blue.box servers could be in Seattle area data centers.

I preferred the FusionPBX GUI (seemed more mature, feature rich), but bluebox is fine for our purposes. I set up a couple of extensions and a SIP trunk, all of which worked, but I haven't done any meaningful testing other than the audio conferencing.

I'm a marketing guy, not a tech guy, but architecturally the separation of signalling and media paths that Freeswitch does just makes sense to me, and so far I think the audio conferencing is a lot better than on Asterisk. I also have to rely on the GUI as a marketing guy, and that's where FreePBX kills what I've seen with SipX, Fusion PBX and now Blue.box. Hopefully they'll catch up, or FreePBX will support Freeswitch (thought that's what FreePBX v3 was going to do).

Hope that helps in some way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiegen
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.