RECOMMENDATIONS Beaglebone reliability?

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone used a Beaglebone Black in any sort of production environment? I am using a RasPi here at the home QTH, with virtually no issues but I don't really like the USB power connector on it, plus it is sloooooww on web interface refreshes.
I have briefly tested the BBB and I like the improved response, and it seems to be a notch up the quality ladder from the RasPi, and I can see it as a viable device for smaller customers if it's dependable. Thoughts?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Mine has run 24x7 for months. Gets about 100 calls a day. We actually run it off the internal RAM rather than a microSD. Never a reboot. Rock-solid reliable and a rocket ship compared to the Raspberry Pi. Demo available: 1-843-606-0555. Thank you, Google. :boat:

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
wardmundy

Glad to hear that! After being on back-order forever, I finally received my Beaglebone Black this week and was curious about how it compared to the Pi in terms of uptime/reliability. At least the Pi will make a great little M.A.M.E. machine. :)

Time to play! Finding the time to play - much more difficult. I'll get there eventually...

Reaction score
The Pi's still a solid piece of kit, IncrediblePi runs and runs and runs with no problems. I get the impression Ward's (quite rightly) pointing out the BBB has a speed edge over the Pi rather than the Pi not being reliable, take my word for it the Pi runs superbly but it is slower than BBB.

(mp3geek QTH? 73s de M0LDN ;) )

dandy_don

Reaction score
I have two Beaglebone Black and I agree that compared with the Raspberry Pi, they are much more responsive. However, the BBB has an unresolved issue with the USB port. Essentially the USB is not usable. For more (and better) information I would suggest you google Beaglebone Black and USB...

One feature that I like with my Pi based and Atom based PBXs is the proximity detection. Unfortunately this does not work with the Beaglebone Black at present but should once the kernel has been developed with the proper support for USB on the Beaglebone Black.

I also use my Atom-based PBX as a NFS and VPN server. I use Pi-based PBX as an NFS server as well. I want to replace the Pi with the BBB but will wait until I can use the USB port for proximity detect and to attach storage... Otherwise I really like the BBB...

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like good news all around! I have noticed some USB weirdness with BBB also, but nothing that affects what I am going to use it for. Thanks guys.

M0LDN and KF5RRF 73 de KB4KZP :)

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
You can do what I did; get a BBB and move your VoIP (etc) over to it, then install Raspbmc on the Pi and never hear the end of it from your wife for "adding ANOTHER thing to our TV?! WHY?! What will it DO!? EUGH!!"

That is to say, just for the passerby, the BBB is better in some applications (host/server applications) and the Pi still has it's primary market (controller, media hub, child playthings, etc).

Reaction score
magna.vis or you could do like me and have one Pi on the phone and one Pi on the TV :D (raspbmc too slow for me, try openelec.tv it's much faster).

Rrrr

Tink
Reaction score
Mine has run 24x7 for months. Gets about 100 calls a day. We actually run it off the internal RAM rather than a microSD. Never a reboot. Rock-solid reliable and a rocket ship compared to the Raspberry Pi. Demo available: 1-843-606-0555. Thank you, Google. :boat:

ward,
I called the demo 1-843-606-0555 from two different routes to hear the BBB at its best, me wanting to learn and improve on the rather thin sound quality of my BBB/trunks.
Both IVR ladies are breaking up: first the one with the sexy voice and then the faster speaking one.
Can you confirm there is an issue, or is it on my side?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Works fine for me from three different sites. It's Google Voice so YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.