FOOD FOR THOUGHT BBB vs RasPi B+

Bill Coghill

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been running Incredible PBX on a RaspPi Model B rev 1 (256Mb) for a year or so in my home with 4 extensions and a couple of incoming SIP lines. I have always noticed slight stuttering on the external calls and wonder if the Pie can't handle the bandwidth or if it is a memory limitation.

I want to replace the raspberry Pi but am not sure if I move to a new B+ Pi or I use a Beagle Bone build (I never found a good use for my Beagle Bone Black so it is just sitting in the cupboard).

There were some info on NerdVittles a few years ago about the BBB and Raspberry Pi builds that suggested the BBB build was faster. Is this still the case ? I'd like something I don't need to hack to update as required. I can't seem to find much info on a recent BBB build.

I don't need Google Voice or any of the US centric stuff that seems to be such a focus of some of the builds - I just want to know will the BBB be a better/easier/smarter version than the current RasPi B+ version?

I want a low power solution so Atom PC style unit is out as they tend to be a lot more expensive here in Australia. Anyone ever tried a build on a ChromeBox ?

Bill.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I'm running a BBB at home. Uses an Obi110 and VoIP.ms for trunks. Never had any stuttering or issues. I have about 8 phones or so, a mix of Mitel 5224s and Snom (various).

Reaction score
Have you ruled out your ISP or checked local quality of service reservations? I have the 512mb model Pi and have been running PIAF for over a year continuously with no issues. The only time I have noticed stuttering is when there's a problem the remote end.

When you're logged into FreePBX it does tell you the CPU use and memory use, what are these coming back as?

The Pi isn't really doing much audio processing at all with SIP, that's why there was initially problems bringing Google Voice to the platform as there was audio processing involved, but my understanding of SIP calls is the Pi only really forwards headers to your endpoint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.