TIPS BBB network asterisk root connection when using power plug?

vgabbott

Reaction score
I found a 1.5 amp power supply for my Asterisk BBB. However, when I use the PS in lieu of the USB to computer, I lose ability to SSH into BBB. Is there a way to telnet to it over the network? Someone has probably figured this out. Thanks for the help.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Ehem...Not to be rude (I was once a NOOB myself) but if you are asking the question you just asked, you really need to do some outside research about connection to a Linux device over Ethernet. If you don't have a handle on that and other fundamentals of Linux operation, you will find operation of the BBB to be really frustrating until you have made enough mistakes that operation finally sinks in. And that kind of education is unnecessary.

Do a search and you will find plenty of tutorials, BBB-PBXIAF related, RASPBX related and general Linux related that if you study over time will give you the knowledge needed for empowered operation. I must have over 50 bookmarks of pages that I used to guide me operating the BBB and while I would consider myself a competent operator, there are still lots of aspects of Linux that I don't quite have a mastery of. I am not saying it is easy but once you get it down it's nice having the added knowledge which I have found lends itself to other things I tinker with.

Good luck.

vgabbott

Reaction score
Ward:
You are right! Thank you for being blunt. In fact, I have started taking on-line lessons for Linux. Only two chapters in so far. My programming experience was over 45 years ago with Fortran with punch cards at university and Commodore Basic a bit later in 1982/3. No unix or OS2 experience. Have only fooled round with early versions of DOS way back and MSDOS prior to Windows. Have used Windows since about 1987. A few days ago, I installed Ubuntu on my I5 to see what that was like; quite impressed as it is nearly a total substitute for Windows. Also have a version of ArchLinux for my recent pogo plug purchase.... waiting for my usb-serial adapter on that project.
So, I will continue and will eventually figure this out. My hopes were that Incredible already had a module to do this little chore but I guess not. So I will have to add the capability to the BBB. The PBX experiment is of interest to me because my working career was in telephone/cable/Internet as a manager and not a tech. Always liked the tech issues that I find fascinating. Probably wished I would have been a tech and not a manager......... perhaps more fulfilling.
So this is a budding hobby to help keep the mind from going as I grow older. I look forward to continued contact with this forum and you.

vgabbott

Reaction score
Short answer: You need at least a 2 amp power supply.

I thought that 2 amp is only necessary if you have a WIFI dongle plugged in. I only have a flash right now.
Still wondering about the Team USB SSD and if this is worth while vs a high end Samsung Class 10 that does 60mps reads.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
My hopes were that Incredible already had a module to do this little chore but I guess not.

What chore are you referring to?? If you mean SSH, Incredible PBX has always had that.

vgabbott

Reaction score
Yes but you need the USB connection to the computer. I eliminated that for location issues, so now have to find a way to get to root over lab.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I think he has gotten confused because a BBB connected via USB to a host computer supplies both power AND a network connection to the BBB. At least a Windows box does. The connection is usually an IP of 192.168.7.2 IIRC. Once you disconnect the USB connection from a host computer, you then need to supply the BBB with an Ethernet network connection from a switch, this is required in order to SSH from the SSH client to the BBB.

vgabbott

Reaction score
What chore are you referring to?? If you mean SSH, Incredible PBX has always had that.

Can a VNC server run in the background on a BBB while Incredible PBX is running in foreground and will this get me to Raspbx root over the LAN?

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Can a VNC server run in the background on a BBB while Incredible PBX is running in foreground and will this get me to Raspbx root over the LAN?

Look at WinSCP. Stick with SSH. VNC is OK, but the little guy (BBB) doesn't need the extra overhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.