TIPS Awesome: Obihai OBi110 ATA with Google Voice

Reaction score
Some of you may be interested in the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, which is a bit similar to a Sipura SPA-3000 or Linksys/Cisco SPA-3102 in that it has an FXO port and an FXS port. The second article has links to documentation on this device, and in particular to a set of instructions on the Obihai web site for using the device with Asterisk. Anyone who has been using, or considering the use of one of the aforementioned Linksys/Sipura devices might want to give the Obihai OBi110 a try. Unfortunately, I don't have a PSTN line anymore, so the only way I could test it in that scenario was to connect the Obihai's FXO port to the FXS port of another VoIP adapter, and I did that in Part 4.

Review of the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, Part 1: Use your phone with Google Voice for free incoming and outgoing calls

Review of the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, Part 2: The OBiTALK portal, documentation, and using the device as an FXO port with Asterisk

Review of the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, Part 3: 911 on the cheap?

Review of the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, Part 4: How to use the OBi110 as an FXO port with Asterisk and FreePBX

How to use the Obihai OBi100 or OBi110 VoIP device as a gateway between Asterisk/FreePBX and Google Voice and/or the OBiTALK network

How to use the Obihai OBi100 or OBi110 VoIP device as a gateway between Asterisk/FreePBX and Google Voice and/or the OBiTALK network — Part 2: Using the Phone port as an Asterisk extension

If you don't need the FXS port, you might be interested to know that Obihai is nearing release of the model OBi100, an ATA product that will have much of the same functionality as the OBi110, but without the FXO port. It should sell for around $40.00/unit (street price) and last I heard should be generally available sometime in March. Here's a first look at that device:

First look at the Obihai OBi100 VoIP device: Like the OBi110, but smaller and less expensive, and without the Line port

Disclosure: I did receive an OBi110 and later on an OBi100 from Obihai for review purposes — see the full disclosure at the bottom of any article.

LAST EDITED February 12, 2011 to add additional article links (originally only the first two were mentioned).

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing, but would like to read a bit about how well it interfaces with a POTS line. Anyone seen anything yet?

Lorne

Fresh off the griddle, with the caveat that since I no longer have an actual PSTN line, and therefore had to use the FXS port of another VoIP adapter as a stand-in, I can't say how it works on a several mile long, old corroded copper pair (can you tell I used to have "service" from GTE? :rolleyes:). But from what I could hear, the sound quality is good enough that if I hadn't known, I'd never have suspected that there was a digital-analog-digital conversion in the audio path.

Review of the Obihai OBi110 VoIP device, Part 4: How to use the OBi110 as an FXO port with Asterisk and FreePBX

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
:(
It's fallen off of the face of the earth:
From Amazon, the 110 is "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." and 888VOIPStore doesn't have it either. What happened?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Gone again. 60,000 visitors last night so there seems to be a little pent up demand. :wink5:

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Day Late and Dollar short...

I missed looking at Nerdvittles and the forum for a day and I missed out on that one... Oh well! I was the 1st to find the Nortel 1535... We have quite a lot of gems the past few months!

I just received my Pirelli DP-L10. Cute little VOIP/GSM phone! I hope the battery lasts...

Hopefully more of these ATAs will show up for $50...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
According to a post on SlickDeals this afternoon, the manufacturer said they should be back in stock at Amazon by this weekend or early next week. Amazon doesn't actually stock the product so orders are being filled by the manufacturer who is, no doubt, swamped after 60,000+ visitors in the last 24 hours. ;)

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Hint to Obihai, US e-tailers are a PITA for us canucks. Between shipping costs, customs grief, brokerage fee ripoffs, delays, exchange rates, moon phases, etc. many of us have learned the hard way to order from the US as a last resort.

Lorne

I have a mailbox in the US for just such a thing. If you'd like me to bring it back and remail it from the centre of the universe (Toronto) :) , send a PM and I'll give you the address.

I am going next Thursday or Friday to pick some other things up.

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
Will this box require port forwarding in the router for SIP trunks or is it plug and play?

Wisiwyg

Reaction score
Yea, I called 888-VoipStore and spoke with a rep. He stated they will not be carrying the OBi110 anymore.

On Amazon, there's a link to a Texas source that is selling them for $89 + shipping - way above the ~$50 list price.

I checked the Obihai website about availability and they post that more will be available on Amazon soon and to beware non-authorized sellers. I called Obihai. The rep there said response has been high due to the functionality with GVoice and all are OOS. He said there should be ample inventory in a couple of weeks to handle everyone's needs, adding, we have experience with high-volume production.

We spoke briefly about the company and I shared that I had read they were a bunch of Linksys engineers that left when it was acquired by Cisco. He confirmed that. This is the basis for their experience in high volume manufacturing.

I'll be checking Amazon every few days and snag one of these as soon as they are available! Check their free SIP software that allows calls from an Android (or iPhone) running their software to make outgoing calls via the OBi110 in your home - or on a friend's OBi110. Very cool stuff.

Reaction score
I think part of the secret may be to check in the very early AM hours. I happened to click on a link last night (I think around 1:00 AM Eastern time, though it might have been a bit later) that went to Amazon's site and that offered them at the ~$50 price, but I suspect they went pretty quickly.

Wisiwyg

Reaction score
On Amazon, there's a link to a Texas source that is selling them for $89 + shipping - way above the ~$50 list price.

Correction.... In the space of about 30 minutes, jacked the price to $99 + $4.99 shipping... Don't you love the entrepreneurial spirit!

I'll wait for one from an official source...

Thanks for the 'early' tip. I'll be checking then, too...

I wonder if the source in TX might be buying up all inventory as soon as available to make a quick buck?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There were about 150 units last night. Probably be some more in a day or two. Just keep checking or follow us on Twitter and we'll let you know if we hear something.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
So I've followed the instructions to use the OBi110 as a pass thru device to bridge my PBXIAF 1755 to Google voice. Everything registers etc, but I cannot place calls out thru the OBi device. The incoming calls arrive correctly (ie I see them in the logs) but the outgoing ones never get handled by the obi. They are however delivered there; the CLI shows the correct trunk being selected and called but the OBi is replying with a "busy signal". Any idea what I might have missed? I've tried triple checking the instructions.

Reaction score
So I've followed the instructions to use the OBi110 as a pass thru device to bridge my PBXIAF 1755 to Google voice. Everything registers etc, but I cannot place calls out thru the OBi device. The incoming calls arrive correctly (ie I see them in the logs) but the outgoing ones never get handled by the obi. They are however delivered there; the CLI shows the correct trunk being selected and called but the OBi is replying with a "busy signal". Any idea what I might have missed? I've tried triple checking the instructions.

The last time I saw that issue, the guy didn't have the X_InboundCallRoute setting for Service Provider 2 (his Asterisk trunk) set correctly. See Reply #28 in this thread (currently the last message in the thread as I'm writing this):

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=201.15

If that's not it, you might want to look through the rest of the thread — I must have suggested every cause I could think of somewhere in that thread! :banghead:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.