Avaya 4629SW IP

williamray507

Reaction score
Has anyone here used an Avaya 4620SW IP phone with Asterisk? I picked one up today for $7 and would like to get it working with my PBX-IN-A-FLASH system but I have never messed with any Avaya stuff.

Thanks,
Bill

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
Last I knew, you could register them with Asterisk and take calls... but that's it. They are in fact still very, very proprietary and 'SIP' is more or less just a checkbox. Anyways, from what I remember, you can't transfer calls, light the MWI, or use #'s or *'s (needed for various features).

Now if you or someone can get it to work, that'd be great... even more IP Offices to replace! :)

kenn10

Reaction score
TheShniz is correct. You can register the phone and set it up for 2-5 call appearances of one station. The MWI and stutter dial tone don't work. The hold and transfer buttons will work as will the pound sign but you cannot use any feature codes which start with "*" because of the proprietary software on the phone.

The other issue I have with the 46xx phones is that they won't stay registered. The newer Avaya 96xx SIP phones work much better but I'd just write off the $7 you spent on the 4620SW phone and move on.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying the 9620/30/etc phones actually play well w/ Asterisk? What are your impressions of them compared to other manufacturers, brief review?

kenn10

Reaction score
Not impressed with the 96xx series at all other than you can use them (and they actually work) with Asterisk. You still can't program spare buttons, etc., but * and # codes work, the MWI works and its a decent speaker phone. I wouldn't buy it over an Aastra but if someone handed you one, you can use it. You also have to do customization of your DHCP/t*f*t*p/HTTP server to have it load correctly due to changes in the option settings where it expects files to be.

Compared to older Avaya proprietary phones, this one is sleazy quality, sounds tinny when you grasp it and is basically about the quality of a Grandstream phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.