SOLVED ASUS Chromebox

prattmd2

Reaction score
So, Amazon had these ASUS Chromeboxes on sale for $114. It is a great little machine that runs a Celeron Haswell chip and is stone cold silent. I am thinking this would make an ideal pbx?

People have the legacy bios issue fixed and can boot a standalone linux distribution or even dual boot chrome os with another linux distro.

So, that being said, is anyone willing to try Incredible PBX on it standalone?

Here is a link to the instructions on how to get this working:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

prattmd2

Reaction score
well, i thought I would give it a whirl. Based on the above directions, I got the chromebox partitioned for dual booting, got ubuntu server installed to a partition. Next problem I ran into was with grub2. It kept overwriting the MBR and causing the chromeos to not be able to be booted.

I was installing to /dev/sdb7 and also tried grub in /sdb and also on the individual partition /sdb7

Any ideas welcome

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
prattmd2 As you probably know, dual boot is always hit and miss because not every OS is wired to expect cohabitation. You might try turning it into a dedicated Ubuntu 14.04 platform... once you've got a good backup. :aureola:

prattmd2

Reaction score
Success!!!!
Works absolutely perfect and loads the server in about 2 seconds (I am serious)
Best $114 PBX ever

Now, I ran into an issue with the incredible fax install

The script couldnt get to the sourceforge file for avant fax
I think I can get the tar ball and put it on the server

I know I shouldnt re-run the install script, as hylafax and all the modems are set up

Any suggestions on getting the avantfax part up?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Another post mentioned that Sourceforge was having issues. Perhaps try again in a few hours, or tomorrow.

prattmd2

Reaction score
I am afraid to run that install script if the hylafax modems and extension was already set?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd wait until SourceForge returns to the living, and then do (one more) fresh install. I know it's a pain in the :asshole:

prattmd2

Reaction score
ok, I reinstalled the whole thing. Everything works perfect until I run the fax script you discuss on the new article. It installs avantfax, sets up the hylamodems and everything works. I reboot, then the freepbx login screen is just blank white screen.
I tried doing an amportal a ma download extensionroutes
but I get an error:

PHP Fatal error: Cannot make static method DB::connect() non static in class freepbx_db in /var/www/html/admin/libraries/freepbx_DB.php on line 57

PHP Fatal error: Cannot make static method DB::connect() non static in class freepbx_db in /var/www/html/admin/libraries/freepbx_DB.php on line 57
**** WARNING: ERROR IN CONFIGURATION ****
astrundir in '/etc/asterisk' is set to but the directory
does not exists. Attempting to create it with: 'mkdir -p '

I am almost there, I must be missing something simple

prattmd2

Reaction score
ok, I figured out the issue, apparently the PEAR db has to be an older version

pear uninstall db pear install db-1.7.14

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
ok, I figured out the issue, apparently the PEAR db has to be an older version

pear uninstall db pear install db-1.7.14

You're using an old version of the installer. This was fixed several days ago.

prattmd2

Reaction score
actually I removed the one in the default installed like your instructions, and pulled the new one off of incrediblepbx.com
So, I am not so sure it is updated?
How would I know if it is the correct verison

I pulled incrediblepbx.com/installfax11_ubuntu14.sh about 3 pm today

prattmd2

Reaction score
so do I need to start ALL over? or does that fix the issue if I deprecated the pear install to 1.7.14?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Open the script and search for the pear install line. What does it say??

prattmd2

Reaction score
I just pulled it again with a wget and the last entry in comments is the entry 8-2014 by Josh

prattmd2

Reaction score
ok, I now understand your question. the script has the three lines commented out that you mention in another post that prevented it from upgrading pear
So, that being said, any way around the pear issue with the fax script?

prattmd2

Reaction score
I am declaring victory. Asterisk 12 with FreePBX 12 and Fully functioning Fax working on an ASUS Chromebox

The fax script is still upgrading PEAR despite being commented out. I reverted to the older version, and all is well.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
prattmd2 First of all, the fax script for Ubuntu 14 is located at http://incrediblepbx.com/incrediblefax11_ubuntu14.sh

Second, you say that the pear lines are commented out but somehow you ended up with the wrong version. What that tells me is that your install of Incredible PBX for Ubuntu was from an earlier release that overwrote the correct version of pear.

Then you say fax is working properly but the "fax script is still upgrading PEAR despite being commented out." On that one, I call :icon bs:unless your device has a version of bash that doesn't recognize # as a comment character. Frankly, I've never heard of one.

prattmd2

Reaction score
Ward, I am not trying to be a pain. I am just trying to make you aware of a potential issue and help others. Yes, I had mistyped the install location, I pulled the one you have above.
I installed incredible pbx on top of ubuntu step for step in your nerdvittles article.
I forced pear to 1.7.14 (just to make sure) right after I installed the base incrediblepbx, and all was working correctly.
I ran the fax script, and it upgraded pear. and yes, those three lines are commented out that you reference.
After the script, pear was 1.8 or 1.9 ( I cant remember now) but I forced it back down to 1.7.14 and everything worked again.
I was just trying to help others. You can call BS if you want, but that was my experience.
I have worked with linux for at least 10 years, and I am certainly not a guru, but I am not an idiot by any means.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.