SOLVED Asterisk11 Breaks Google Voice

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've been receiving complaints that Google Voice calls get congestion failures with more recent versions of Asterisk. We've just begun to trace back through some older releases to find where the problem began. I'm guessing it's when pjsip came along, but I could be mistaken. What we can report is that 11.5.1 works. We'll test more recent versions as time permits.

On the CentOS, Scientific Linux, and Fedora Remix platforms, you can back rev your server to 11.5.1 with the updated 11.5.1 upgrade script if you need Google Voice connectivity. This won't work on the Raspberry Pi and BBB platforms just yet! Stay tuned.

Code:
cd /root
wget http://pbxinaflash.com/upgrade-green-11.5.1.tgz
tar zxvf upgrade-green-11.5.1.tgz
./upgrade-green-11.5.1

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ward PJSIP is an Asterisk 12 thing so it's probably not related, also with the recent security updates for Asterisk 11 I wouldn't recommend anyone roll back their Asterisk versions.

Thanks. Of course, if it comes down to being able to make phone calls or being 100% secure, that's probably an easy one. With IPtables and a WhiteList AND a hardware-based firewall, the security risk is fairly minimal if there is no access to the server at all. As for pjsip, I could swear I see a bunch of code being compiled into Asterisk 11 as well. I'll have to watch more closely to confirm. Perhaps tm1000 can identify the actual culprit so we can get it fixed.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
PJSIP is actually used in Asterisk 11 but only for ICE, not as a sip driver (which is how it is used in 12). You say "I'm guessing it's when pjsip came along" but it's been in the code base since 11 was alpha and not released. It's not something new. In terms of Google Voice ICE is only used to get the information of the local interfaces.

You say and tell your users to get off of Google voice because Google officially announced they weren't going to support third party connections starting May 15th and now you are telling them to roll back Asterisk versions to a version of Asterisk that has a security vulnerability so that they can connect to Google Voice. Why? Don't shoot the messenger I am just stating the facts in the nicest way possible and I am baffled. If people want reliable phone calls I can think of 10 providers off the top of my head.

Back to the topic at hand, I would make sure libuuid is being compiled into Asterisk, it's optional now. As you will need (and have always needed) PJSIP compiled into Asterisk 11 since the beginning of time to get Google Voice to work and libuuid is required to compiled PJSIP in Asterisk 11.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, tm1000. Wasn't recommending Google Voice, but there are still people that are dependent for whatever reason. I'll try the libuuid suggestion and report back. Actually, had to load that to get 11.5.1 to compile properly, but didn't get an error with later versions so that may be the issue. Thanks again.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Exactly starting somewhere after 11.5.1 it is optional. That may be your issue. So check that, then check to make sure pjsip is compiled, which will then allow motif to compile.

Thanks, tm1000. Wasn't recommending Google Voice, but there are still people that are dependent for whatever reason. I'll try the libuuid suggestion and report back. Actually, had to load that to get 11.5.1 to compile properly, but didn't get an error with later versions so that may be the issue. Thanks again.

Reaction score
PJSIP is actually used in Asterisk 11 but only for ICE, not as a sip driver (which is how it is used in 12). You say "I'm guessing it's when pjsip came along" but it's been in the code base since 11 was alpha and not released. It's not something new. In terms of Google Voice ICE is only used to get the information of the local interfaces.

IW8simF.gif

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, tm1000. Absence of uuid pieces was indeed the problem. Just recompiled 11.10.2 with the missing pieces and the newly modified installer, and Google Voice now works fine. For those on Fedora Remix, CentOS, or Scientific Linux platforms with PIAF-Green, just download and run the updated upgrade script. I'll work on a Raspberry Pi and BBB fix shortly.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
RPi-Fan We'll push out a new release for the Raspberry Pi with the latest version of Asterisk in the next day or two. In the meantime, if you want to get your existing Raspberry Pi working with Google Voice, here's the fix that worked for us. In the menuselect step below, don't change anything. Just Save & Exit.
Code:
apt-get clean
apt-get install uuid-dev uuid-runtime
apt-get -y autoremove
amportal stop
cd /usr/src/asterisk*
./configure
make menuselect
make
make install
cd ..
cd Asterisk-Flite-2.2-rc1-flite1.3
make
make install
amportal start

jharre

Reaction score
It takes a while, but that cured the GV problem with outgoing calls here, too. Thanks Ward!

RPi-Fan

Reaction score
RPi-Fan We'll push out a new release for the Raspberry Pi with the latest version of Asterisk in the next day or two.
Ward,

The new release (raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.img) has an MD5 file whose contents does not match the actual MD5 of the image file.

raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.md5:

5a1e7c676cb65249a7208c7861450386 raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.img

Actual MD5 of raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.img:

debbb8d9ba9cb4bce008579b8af76238

? ? ? ? ?

Additional finding...

I went ahead an created an SD card but ran into the following:

root@incrediblepbx:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Segmentation faulty tree... 1%
root@incrediblepbx:~#

and

root@incrediblepbx:~# cd /root
root@incrediblepbx:~# apt-get install ntfs-3g
Segmentation faulty tree... 0%

These ran on the 5/29/14 image.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
RPi-Fan: Run apt-get clean and you should be good to go. You've got very little space on a 4GB card so I wouldn't recommend running upgrade until you move to a bigger card. You are, of course, free to do whatever you like but you're outside the supported zone once you add additional components or make substantial mods to the build. There's just no way for anybody to support the platform when the base install has been "improved." As you know Incredible PBX is primarily a telephony platform which requires virtually all available resources especially on a Raspberry Pi. Thanks for the heads up. That glitch may turn out to be a blessing. :aureola:

RPi-Fan

Reaction score
RPi-Fan: Run apt-get clean and you should be good to go. You've got very little space on a 4GB card so I wouldn't recommend running upgrade until you move to a bigger card. You are, of course, free to do whatever you like but you're outside the supported zone once you add additional components or make substantial mods to the build. There's just no way for anybody to support the platform when the base install has been "improved." As you know Incredible PBX is primarily a telephony platform which requires virtually all available resources especially on a Raspberry Pi. Thanks for the heads up. That glitch may turn out to be a blessing. :aureola:
The image was placed on a 16 GB SD card and the very first thing I did was to expand the partition and reboot to use the full amount. This is not an available space issue.

And what about the image's MD5 checksum not being what it's supposed to be?

RPi-Fan

Reaction score
Ward,

To double- and triple-check myself, I've downloaded the archive multiple times and I get identical results:

incrediblepi-3.11.tar.gz (MD5 : 159E5C835918B689C54182A00C901132)

This file extracts consistently without any errors reported using multiple archiving programs.

The image file (raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.img) contained in this archive does not have the expected MD5 checksum. Multiple MD5 checksum programs were used with consistent results:

Expected MD5 : 5a1e7c676cb65249a7208c7861450386

Actual MD5 : debbb8d9ba9cb4bce008579b8af76238

The image file (raspbian7-incrediblepi-06-18-2014.img) contained in this archive was loaded onto a 16 GB SD card using Win32DiskImager.exe and verified by reading it back and doing a file compare.

The very first operation performed after booting the 16 GB SD card was to run raspi-config and expand the root partition, followed by a reboot.

apt-get operations fail until an apt-get clean is performed:

root@incrediblepbx:~# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 15212256 3080300 11462380 22% /
/dev/root 15212256 3080300 11462380 22% /
devtmpfs 219832 0 219832 0% /dev
tmpfs 44800 236 44564 1% /run
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 89580 0 89580 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 76186 28064 48122 37% /boot
/dev/root 15212256 3080300 11462380 22% /var/spool/hylafax/etc

Segmentation faulty tree... 1%

root@incrediblepbx:~# apt-get clean

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
wpasupplicant
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@incrediblepbx:~#

Please advise if the expected MD5 checksum is incorrect or if the image is corrupt.

Please advise if the requirement to run apt-get clean on a fresh install is normal when the image is loaded onto a 16 GB SD card (I've never experienced this with past images).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.