QUESTION Anyone using Smart BLF's on Digium phones?

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Reading through the documentation, what little there is, I'd like to use the smart blf's. I am having a bit of a struggle figuring them out tho. Is anyone using them and if so can you point me to some good examples? I am mainly after simple things like making a button monitor a virtual voicemail box, changing the color of the button for certain events, etc.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
The latest Commercial EPM now uses them and took Luke 2 weeks to get them working. Its not for the light headed.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to setup a test system with the EPM and see what the differences are between using it and the DPMA. I have worked with the .xml file enough now that I think I have a handle on it. Now my questions are how does the blf_items= file interact with the rest of the files? What I mean is, most of the documentation seems to refer to a single config file. The FreePBX system uses several separate files that are #included into the main file. When I manually add the blf_items= line in the res_digium_phone_devices.conf file, the one or two buttons I am testing show up on the phone but the rest of them are blank. This appears to override the contacts-1.xml file created by the DPMA. It is an either/or situation not an additive one.

In summary, if I want to use the smart blf feature, I must program all buttons with it. I had hoped I could simply change the color of the led on say the first button and the rest of the buttons would stay as they where defined by the DPMA. For this particular install I have 70 phones. Hand coding 70 phones in the "mybuttons.xml" file is not how I wanted to spend my time! Yes, the EPM will take that drudgery away but then I won't be able to edit them as I wish. Looking at the docs you referred to, the only item I would not like is the button being lit up green when the remote phone is idle. Simply my opinion, nothing more, but I would prefer the led to be off if the remote phone isn't doing anything.

malcolmd

Guru
Reaction score
Correct, it's an either/or, not additive. Under the hood, for old firmware and old style contacts, they're simply played out on the screen in the order they're found in the contacts file for the rapid dial group. If you're on firmware 1.4 and you're *not* defining any Smart BLF blf items sheet, then that's still the case. But, once you elect to go the BLF items route, you're forgoing the phone's writing out of the contacts in order.

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.