QUESTION Analog/USB Phone options with network PBX?

knotworking

Reaction score
I have an IncrediblePi working incredibly(!) in my mother's home. I have installed a YATE soft phone, that is working pretty great, too. The problem is my mother doesn't really *get* the softphone through the computer thing, and the sound quality is less than ideal. Specifically, she has to have the audio up loud enough for her to hear, but then I get to hear my voice coming through the speakers a split second after I say anything. Not a fun conversation for me....

She has the old analog phone I had plugged into the TDM400P card on her old build (obviously, the Raspberry Pi makes that card useless). I also have a few old analog voice/modem cards I've pulled out of computers over the years. I feel like I need to get her a real phone, but I'm at a loss for options (I've always used FXO modules to connect analog phones to my PBX systems).

Everything is networked, but her computer is in the same room as the Pi, so I have access to the USB ports on the Pi, and her router is in the same room, as well. I don't want to break the bank, I just want to get a real phone in her hand (or a headset) for conversations.

Anybody have any tips on solving this issue (as cheaply as possible)??

Thanks in advance!

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Is her computer on 24/7, or at least when she would be making/receiving calls?

How about one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...xto0E-_KpCKzN0g0Rz_LkaAqPZ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is an example only of something I have seen for sale for years. I have never used one myself, but they have always been "out there" and purportedly work with many different kinds of computer-based SIP clients (or, for that matter, non-SIP as well).

knotworking

Reaction score
Thanks tycho, I've seen a few of these Skype phones in my searching, didn't know if they would work well with PIAF. The price is right!

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I'm not sure either, but they advertise as being inter-operable with any number of SIP providers and clients, so it seems like they might work...

knotworking

Reaction score
I looked at that too Brian, I am truly being a tight ass on this one. I was hoping for options < $20, which I think relegates me to the Skype phones. I really like what that OBI says it can do, I'm thinking about picking one up for my home office.

mbellot

Reaction score
I looked at that too Brian, I am truly being a tight ass on this one. I was hoping for options < $20, which I think relegates me to the Skype phones. I really like what that OBI says it can do, I'm thinking about picking one up for my home office.

If it's not super time sensitive then spend some time trolling Goodwill stores.

I picked up a Linksys PAP2 for $3 and two ACN video phones for $10 each (getting those set up was a bit of a pain).

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
OK, another idea: get a branded BasicTalk ATA from Wallymart and hack it to load the standard Grandstream firmware (because it is really just a rebranded and re-firmware'd Grandstream HT701, if I have the correct model number). Details in some threads over on DSLReports; search and read.

I ordered one from the Wallymart website for store delivery and paid something like $8.70. And this is in Chicago! :)

(Also, another vote for an Obi. I =love= my Obi100.)

knotworking

Reaction score
Hmmm, never thought of doing that, finding a PAP2 would be awesome! Alas, I'm on the (g)Old Coast of Florida, I can only imagine my luck would be restricted to finding cool old rotary phones there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.