FYI Amazon EC2 and PIAF - anyone tested loads etc?

papachumba

Reaction score
Im interested to know what is the maximum number of extensions and concurrent calls that could be run on an Amazon Micro Instance? Anyone knows?

I've done some sip testing and found that on a micro instance I can get about 30 concurrent simulated calls before things start degrading....
Then i read online posts where people are saying they are running THOUSANDS of extensions on their boxes (not amazon) with around 200 simultaneous calls easily. What kinda hardware would one need for this, would a mini/medium EC2 instance be able to handle this or are there some other limitations pertaining to running the PBX server from within the cloud rather than on the same LAN....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Amazon Micro instance has burst capacity which gives it the capability to support lots of extensions and numerous calls for short periods of time. Once you start actually using a system heavily, you'll need a much beefier flavor of EC2 which gets expensive fast because the regular instances don't have burst capability. A dual-core Atom machine or a quad-core PC then becomes a much better option in terms of operating cost.

To put it less charitably, micro instances give the appearance of limitless capacity which quickly evaporates once you begin to actually need it. :sorcerer:

papachumba

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Vittles!
I guess I better start looking for an alternative hosting provider... :(

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
HINT: RentPBX is an awesome choice at $15/mo. and they also generously support the PBX in a Flash project.

papachumba

Reaction score
Do they have servers in uk? I need this to ensure optimum latency... Our sip trunk is also in uk...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.