FOOD FOR THOUGHT Alternate TTS for RPi?

Reaction score
I seem to recall in previous version of PIAF or IncrediblePBX that I was able to install alternate TTS engines. There are lots of articles about integrating Google STT with the new API and all, but I can't find anything anymore about TTS (ok, there is this article, but that still seems to focus on STT).

I remember in the past, when running PIAF on a x86 machine, I was able to replace flite with Cepstral (I still have the licenses for that). When I switched to RPi a few years ago, I didn't even think about switching the TTS engine. Now Mr. Roboto (aka Flite) is really hard to listen to after having better TTS engines on my smartphone and other devices.

I have searched and searched, but I can't find anything that explains that. As I recall, there were changes required in the dial plans for alternate TTS calls (although it seems like those could have been genericised by now to call a single TTS wrapper).

Have I just missed it, or are we all stuck with flite on RPi for right now? The chart in the latest vittles article indicates Google TTS is available as well as STT with Incredible PBX 11.

jay.taylor

Reaction score
I stumbled across this project by accident the other day and thought that it would be fun to play with. It's called Jasper. They use a Raspberry Pi for STT and TTS and have several options listed on this page: http://jasperproject.github.io/documentation/configuration/

I have no idea what it would take to get any of the listed TTS engines working with Asterisk. Good Luck!

Jay

Reaction score
I'm not sure Jasper is a solution for this, but their website shows that there are a number of TTS engines available, from on-board ones like espeak, to commercial ones like Cepstral, to the web based Google TTS. I will see what can be done to incorporate one (or more) of them.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Google TTS always has been included in Incredible PBX.

Reaction score
I just found it. It looks like that Yahoo news is the only app using it (at least on the version I'm on right now...working on my production 3.11, not the latest). The calls to googletts.agi happen in a few places, but is commented out in favor flite. Other places it doesn't even exist. I've converted all the apps I could find in extensions_custom.conf.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
One problem you will run into is that you can't call an AGI script (such as googletts.agi) from another AGI script (such as many of the Incredible apps). That would take considerable effort to rework and is not something that generates much enthusiasm at my end.

Reaction score
Any thought to making a generic TTS script that can be called from anywhere? With that, the TTS engine can be configured in one place and the dialplans never have to change. Didn't you do that once in the past when there was basically only flite and swift?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.