TIPS Aastra 6737i phones failing

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
I have an install with 20 of these phones plugged into two Cisco SG200-24P switches. All seems to work fine for a time. Then I get a call that one or more of them have failed. The failure is always the same. Has anyone else seen this?

What happens:
1. Outside call comes in the Sip Trunk and hits a ring group
2. All phones in the ring group ring
3. The failed phone will ring very very loud, I mean really loud. That is how we know the phone just died.
4. From then on:
you can answer an incoming call (from outside only)
If you dial out, you can hear but the called person can not hear you
You can not transfer a call nor park it

Rebooting the phone, switches, pbx, etc. nothing brings that phone back that I have found. Any ideas?

Stewart

Guru
Reaction score
I've not seen that and I have many Aastra phones in production, though none of the 37i's. We have 57i's, 57iCT's, 31i's, and 39i's. What happens if you:

1. Log out and back in to the extension. Maybe something wrong with the cached info?
2. Wipe the local config? Maybe something wrong with the config?
3. Wipe the local config and reset to factory defaults.
4. Change the firmware. Firmware issues?

What have you tried?

Reaction score
running POE switches? failures on same switch or port? check voltages.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Stewart: I too have many many 57i's installed with no problems. I did two separate installs using the 37i's because I needed the gigabit passthrough ports. Both installs used the same FreePBX based system, Cisco SG200-26P switches and the Aastra 37i's. The installs are in two seperate towns an hour apart. Both installs have phones failing over and over. I believe the start of the problem was a "bad batch of phones". I brought the first failures back to my office and did factory resets, firmware upgrades, etc and ended up with a bunch of completely bricked phones. So as it happened the next several times at both installs I simply RMA'd them back for replacements and did no testing. Both of these installs have been in almost a year. This last episode, in talking to my distributor to RMA more failures, he said he kept one of the phones I sent back last time, did a factory reset and has been using it for several weeks with no problems. Very strange since I had tried all that in the beginning. I logged into two of the phones remotely and "removed local", "factory reset", and upgraded the firmware to the latest from Aastra's website. The next morning I called the client and they said both of the phones are now fine. I walked her through just doing the remove local and factory reset from the keypad and now all 6 phones are working fine again. Say what?

briankelly63: Yes, I am using the Cisco SG200-26P PoE switches plugged into the same APC battery backup as the pbx. At the first install I have two of them. The phones plugged into switch 1 have the most failures. I have only had 1 or 2 phones in switch 2 fail. I am working with Cisco support now to try and get the one with the most failures replaced. But since I have four of these switches total between the two installs, I am not sure I can blame it on them unless they also had a "bad batch" but what are the odds of that? I have not physically checked voltages. I did check the config web pages that show usage and I am only at 33watts out of 110watts. Well within the capacity of the switches.

This happens so randomly (I know nothing is random, there is always a cause) that I don't know how to proceed. Sometimes it is months between failures, other times, a few days. I can not find any pattern so far, day / night, storms / clear days, heavy call volume / light, etc.

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Edisoninfo,

Just curious if you ever pin pointed anything down further? We have an install of 6735i's from back at the end of November where these phones will randomly go into web recovery mode. We have replaced our PoE switch with other models and they still will randomly go into Web recovery mode. We have always used 6755i and 6757i's without issue, but needed gigabit. We have upgraded firmware, etc... but still can't seem to shake these from failing. I am regretting our decision to stick with aastra.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
The odds of a Cisco small business switch being bad are disturbingly high. I have phased out 4 of them. ARP table problems, PoE failures, lots of what I like to call "weird &*&()*", which is code for I do not have time to troubleshoot equipment which should just work so I will go and get something else that does.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Edisoninfo,

Just curious if you ever pin pointed anything down further? We have an install of 6735i's from back at the end of November where these phones will randomly go into web recovery mode. We have replaced our PoE switch with other models and they still will randomly go into Web recovery mode. We have always used 6755i and 6757i's without issue, but needed gigabit. We have upgraded firmware, etc... but still can't seem to shake these from failing. I am regretting our decision to stick with aastra.

I have yet to find a reason. Over time I have replaced almost all of the ones I had deployed. I have learned that these are not "identical" phones with a gigabit switch installed. They are actually totally different inside. I have stopped using Aastra and am using Digium phones which so far, are rock solid.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
I too am getting annoyed with aastra. We have many hundreds of 37i's deployed and at least weekly get a web recovery mode support call. I've never seen the "loud" problem however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.