R.I.P. 5 Mo, can't get past flashing BeagleBone Black eMMC

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
For 5 months, I have remained rather lost getting PBXinAFlash working for our small business via a BeagleBone Black, rev 0A6A, & 32 GB Samsung SDXC card, all purchased as a result of studying Wary Mundy's 8222 December 2014 blog post, our moving office locations & time to fully upgrade away from VoIP+older POTS PBX equipment.

I did eventually manage to get PBXinAFlash to boot and run on the SDXC card, link my SIP.US accounts, etc.

However, after finally figuring out how to flash PBXinAFlash onto the eMMC, eventually getting the GUI display which Ward Mundy showed, I have been unable to get further for the last few weeks, much less link my SIP.US accounts or Yealink phones.
Using any the IP addresses shown in the GUI interface do not link to PBXinAFlash

Explicit suggestions of what I am missing, what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

I have considerable experience with Windows systems (from late 80s DOS on), build my own systems, do programming (mostly high level to integrate mainstream app functions) & minimal Unix experience. However, I'm lost here; too many details not explicitly stated.
Please see the attached Cloud9 image (until I finally saw this, I never knew where the image which Ward Mundy showed on the 8222 blog post came from, a fact not stated in the blog.)

Respectfully,
Milton Alvis

Attachments

• PBX-in-a-Flash via Cloud9.png
    PBX-in-a-Flash via Cloud9.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 15

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just to clarify... PBX in a Flash NEVER ran on the BBB. It was a build of RasPBX from a developer that doesn't spend much time updating stuff. From there, we installed Incredible PBX on top of RasPBX. For reasons which now should be obvious, we have stopped supporting platforms built by anyone other than the major Linux distributors: RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, Raspbian, CentOS, Scientific Linux. And we no longer bundle Incredible PBX or PIAF with an operating system. So the installation scenario is (1) install the OS of your choice yourself and (2) run the compatible PIAF or Incredible PBX installer for your platform.

The Beaglebone Black platform looked promising for a while, but the Raspberry Pi 2 has caught up in terms of performance and RAM. So... like all good pioneers, it's probably time to move on to a more stable hardware platform.

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
Sorry; I don't know the intricacy differences between all the various names.
Language can easily be excruciatingly imprecise & misleading.

Running the rev 0A6A version of BeagleBone Black; finally figuring out how to update the OEM installed linux distribution on the BBB
(despite the incorrect/misleading information at: http://192.168.7.2/bone101/Support/BoneScript/updates),
using:
https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/re...r-debian-7.8-lxde-armhf-2015-03-01-2gb.img.xz
as downloaded from:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#BBB_.28All_Revs.29_eMMC_Flashers
I did run RasPBX (raspbx-bbb-24-04-2014.img) & configured it running on the Samsung 32 GB SDXC card.

The GUI interface worked, I was able to do some configuring and link RasPBX to our SIP.US numbers, though not to our Yealink phones.

I then flashed the eMMC of the BBB with the raspbx-bbb-24-04-2014.img image, finally resulting in the image which I attached.

Problem. With RasPBX running from the eMMC, I have not figured out how to get to the raspbx-bbb GUI interface, configure raspbx and run it from this point on, much less interface to our Yealink phones.

We use a maximum of 5 lines, usually only 1 or 2 being utilized concurrently.

I will take a look at hecatae's suggestion.
Thank you for looking & offering a suggestion.

Attachments

• PBX-in-a-Flash via Cloud9.png
    PBX-in-a-Flash via Cloud9.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 4

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
Reviewing http://nerdvittles.com/?p=8222 again, I now see that running RasPBX from the cMMC chip is NOT recommended as the PBX software is apparently not designed to be able to utilize the SD card for additional space beyond the base program files.

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
move on to a more stable hardware platform.

What more stable platform would you suggest?
Only need to support for 5 SIP calls at once,
prefer a low power PC with a durable SSD (? durability of micro SD cards)
(? Samsung 850 Pro EVO 2.5-Inch SATA III with 10 yr warranty).

I have experience with building windows PCs, MB/CPU up, but not Unix systems.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Debian that you installed from the rcn-ee.com site is one of the 3 mother distros that all others are based off of. Forget RasPBX, it was made specifically for the Raspberry PI not the BBB. It just happened to work, kind of.
If you are willing to fiddle with the PiaF install scripts, there's no reason you couldn't get it work with Debian. I may be coerced into giving some help from time to time. I've gotten at least one or two iterations of PiaF to work that way.
Beagle Bone Black is a fantastic device, however it's better suited to the tinkerer. Not really a "plug and play" kind of device. Neither is the Raspberry PI (or PI2) for that matter. If you are looking for a simpler low power computer and don't need much performance, there are many "mini" computers that could also fit. Being "intel" and bios based, they would be more PC like.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
It's like this. You see somebody driving a '64 'vette down the road, and say, way cool. But if YOU want one, you'll have to either have the scratch to hire a decent mechanic, or you'll have to be well versed in some serious retro mechanicals.

The single board PCs are cool. But, you have to speak their language. Windows only runs on the PI2 (just) so you have to be able to get in there and go hand-to-hand with the command line. Sorry. GUIs take a lot of resources, Windows takes enormous resources, the little cards ain't got it. And, that level of resources is only sensible for experimentation. Which is what many of us do, experiment. What you learn on an SBC will transfer if you're working on a big system.

If you have a real business, you'll need to spend the $$ for a packaged solution. Unless your business IS voip, spending days/weeks/months on "cheap" solution, isn't cheap. You're either losing time from your business, or you're losing sleep - which doesn't help your business. While I thoroughly agree what the 'big guys' want for turn-key PBXs is obscene, an undependable phone system can cost far more.

Look at it this way. For many (most?) businesses, phone service is like oxygen. Would you buy an oxygen system from the lowest vendor? Or assemble it yourself from parts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.