DEAL $39 Android SIP Phone

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's what looks to be a perfect Android WiFi/SIP phone to use with Asterisk and a SIP softphone such as Zoiper or CSipSimple. It's $39 at BestBuy.com.

8873134_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Now, give credit to mazilo over at DSLR for pestering us starting a week ago all about using this phone for that very purpose. :)

My understanding is that the phone is basically the next iteration of a LG Optimus F3, which is rather nice for a basic-to-mid level phone. I was just mucking around in one this very evening.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
2100 mah battery, bluetooth, a micro sd card slot (32gb capacity)....in addition to SIP, Skype and Hangouts duty, it would make a nice music and Netflix player too. Even has KitKat.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Now, give credit to mazilo over at DSLR for pestering us starting a week ago all about using this phone for that very purpose. :)

Absolutely. Posted this from my smartphone and forgot to go back and add the link. My apologies.

LG smartphones have been the standard issue on pay-as-you-go plans for a very long time. What's changed is the price. Very durable and feature-rich Android devices. We have several of them. Used to be well over $100.

p.s. Not to take anything away from mazilo, but Nerd Vittles has been recommending using LG smartphones for this purpose for years.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
This would even make a nice device for my 8 year old daughter to play on and use. A lot cheaper than buying another ipod.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
This would even make a nice device for my 8 year old daughter to play on and use. A lot cheaper than buying another ipod.

I tried that with my 3 year old with an old LG Escape. After an hour, she handed it back to me and asked for her old iPad 2 back. :-(

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
What's unfortunate about all these phones, they are so proprietary that you cannot repurpose them once they are no longer usable as a phone. How many dual or quad core phones are out there that could be turned into little Linux computers? A boat load which reflects the number of them that will be shipped overseas to be recycled.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
These LG phones don't require an active SIM card. They still work just fine with WiFi and the complete Android feature set.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Y
These LG phones don't require an active SIM card. They still work just fine with WiFi and the complete Android feature set.

Yes, I get tired of my daughter asking to use my phone in the car. This way I can say "Here's your own phone" - and she can play candy crush or whatever, plus when she's at home she can call her little girlfriends with it and cost me a big fat zero !!

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
seriously for $40... my 2yr old can have one and call me anytime, and maybe give her mom a little reprieve ;)

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
sure.. buy it.. bring it home...set it up...lock it down so kiddo can only travel'n man and Zoiper... and wifey pulls out a big red VETO card :(:banghead:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
sure.. buy it.. bring it home...set it up...lock it down so kiddo can only travel'n man and Zoiper... and wifey pulls out a big red VETO card :(:banghead:

Why? Kid having a phone? Need to know cause I'm afraid I'm going to hit a wife roadblock too.

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
yeah, thinks 2 yr old with technology in hand == making kids stupid

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Bought it. Will 911 still work without registering it?

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Pretty sure yes. I think the law is that 911 will work on any cell phone, initialized or not (in fact, most initialization screens have an option for "emergency call"), and/or in -service or not.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
So how does Sprint pre-paid work? Do you have to refill every month or can you just buy a block of minutes that you use until gone? Thinking about picking one up for wifi use, but would be nice to have some LTE minutes as a backup too.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
So how does Sprint pre-paid work? Do you have to refill every month or can you just buy a block of minutes that you use until gone? Thinking about picking one up for wifi use, but would be nice to have some LTE minutes as a backup too.

Sprint prepaid does not have a "block-of-minutes that you can use til gone" option. Few prepaid offerors actually have that.

Google is your friend -- this took me 10 seconds. :) Here's what it does have:

https://myaccount.prepaid.sprint.com/myaccount/topup.do

http://www.sprint.com/landings/prepaid/

Edit to add: not sure what you mean by "LTE minutes." If what you are looking for is cheap pay-per-minute talk-time as a backup, I can offer tons of suggestions in that regard. I think of LTE as data and minutes as minutes no matter what the technology (GSM; CDMA). Voice over LTE is barely being offered at present...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.