TIPS 3-Letter Forum Search

hraynor

Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so this is not against PIAF itself, but with the forum here.

Is there anyway we could get the search function changed so it would allow for SHORTER search terms? I believe right now each term has to be at least 4 characters.

In a technical environment, there are MANY three letter acronyms that this makes it impossible to search on (SIP, PBX, IAX, NAT, etc) and I have run into this many times where it took me far too long to try to get something reasonable that it would allow me to search on.

ie: a common example might be something like:

SIP NAT traversal
which if searched for, yields:

The search term you specified (SIP) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
Just a suggestion.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
Try a google search in this way:

SIP NAT traversal site: pbxinaflash.com/forum
There's nothing can be done for the search limits in the forum software. Ward has tried before -

kevsworld

Reaction score
nice tool - very useful. What stupid forum software that doesn't allow 3 letter search!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Heh. Only the forum software you have to pay for. :D

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
Vbulletin lets you specify the minimum word length (Search Index Minimum Word Length), where you can specify 3 letters if you want. However, your database size is going to increase, perhaps significantly.

robf

Reaction score
this should probably be a sticky.

if you're a chrome user like me then you can just type the search query directly in to the address field as:

Code:
site:pbxinaflash.com search_term1 search_term2 search_term3

MaqAttaq

Guru
Reaction score
Heh. Only the forum software you have to pay for. :D
That isn't entirely true. Under Admin CP, go to...

Settings > Options > Message Searching Options

Look for "Search Index Minimum Word Length" and change it from 4 to whatever your heart desires. Right below that, you can also set a "Search Index Maximum Word Length" (my minimum is set to 2, maximum is set to 25). Once you reset that, you will have to...

Maintenance > Update Counters

Then go to "Rebuild Search Index". Follow the instructions, and let your system reindex. It should take a few minutes for 62,000 posts. It took about 2-3 hours for about 700,000 posts for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.