SUGGESTIONS Answer, Play Message, Forward/Transfer Call

Stephen Monk

Reaction score
I am looking to have a DID inbound ring in PBIAF, answer and play a greeting, and then forward/transfer the call to an 3rd party number (helpdesk provider). Ideally this call would then no longer be using an outbound trunk and no longer in line with our system.

Can this be done, and how?

Thanks for any assistance!

Asterisk (Ver. 11.7.0)
FreePBX 2.11.0.38

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Steven,

You can have your IVR do all of this.
First create a ringgroup and have the extension list set to the number you want to forward to - use the same dial plan you normally use (if you prefix numbers with 9 to dial out, use 91XXXYYYZZZZ#). Add the pound/hashtag to the end of the number (this allows the system to dial it).

Record a 'main greeting'.
Set up an IVR to play the greeting
Set the timeout for a 'response' to the min (there isn't a response the caller needs to make, and no choices should be executed on).
Set the destination for the call to the ringgroup you just created.

The call will still be 'on your system' - they are (to my knowledge) looping through you. If you have a channel limitation (in or outbound) you could still hit it. In other words, the original caller isn't disconnected and magically redialed to the helpdesk directly.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Sure, Igaetz, but for your solution to work, I would have had to know what 'Announcements' were <g>. Glad I do now. Thanks for the tip.

Andrew

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I concur with lgaetz and AndyInNYC. Best option here is an announcement. But unless you work some voodoo magic with your provider (or do this on the provider's end - I know VoIP.ms can do this), it'll take up one inbound and one outbound channel on your box.

Stephen Monk

Reaction score
Thank you. I do plan to use an announcement as the message. In my reading, there is a way to do a transfer/forward, but I don't know what all is needed to build the customer dialplan or "application" to manage that. Looking for the Asterisk gurus to chime in on the easiest way to do it. I understand that the carrier may not support the forking of the call, but I want Asterisk to get to the point it will try.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Announcement is a FreePBX module that does this.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Except for the part where he doesn't want the call on his system anymore.

Without custom code this is just not something that PIAF is going to do. If it's a dedicated number the users are calling then the best thing would be to move the number to a cloud provider, such as Voip.ms, and have them handle the announce and forward.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Except for the part where he doesn't want the call on his system anymore.

Yep, that's going to be a problem, I agree. Once his PBX has accepted the call, it will be difficult to get out of the conversation, for the "average" person. Intercepting the call before it gets delivered to his PBX, (such as at VoIP.ms) makes a whole lot more sense than re-inventing the wheel. My preference is always for the least complex solution, and which can be reverse-engineered and supported at some future time, perhaps by someone else. Good suggestion.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Yes this feature is available, I did this on a Toshiba PBX many many years ago, it was not a feature of the pbx but a feature we had enabled on our PRI service, I THINK it was called 2 D channel transfer, basicly you would just do a trunk to trunk transfer and drop out of the call. there may have been a setting on the pbx side as well it's been at least 10 years and we only did this once but it work well.

gary

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
Maybe an obi110 and pstn line that has custopack, centrex, transfer features. Incoming call through the obi110 to the pbx misc. application - destination or the likes (answer, play announcement, hook flash the obi110 pstn port, dial the transfer number, hangup)

kenn10

Reaction score
Yes. AT&T lists this as a feature of their PRI service. (http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=9459)

Two B Channel Transfer — This option allows the controlling party to place a call on hold, add a second party, and then transfer the first party to the second party, while releasing B channel that connected the controlling party to the central office. This can occur over the same PRI or multiple PRIs in the same hunt group. This feature minimizes the use of B channels when the parties are not actively using the facility.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also do it with SIP trunks and a session border controller and SIP diversion headers. The border controller can interpret that two SIP legs have been put together and just redirect the call outside your system by telling the inbound side of the call to redirect media traffic to the outbound leg of the call.

If you are a high volume call center that is passing a lot of calls to an outside call center, the "IVR in the Cloud" solution can play a message and then ring the call without ever entering your system. There are many options to consider.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.