TIPS CallCentric Setup for FreePBX

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The same way every other SIP provider on the planet does it. :oops:

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
Which is how, exactly? Please give a specific example based on a service provider you are familiar with, that has multiple switches and one customer-facing IP address.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
http://www.metaswitch.com/news/metadata/022114/mtas-clustering

Metaswitch is used by a lot of SIP carriers. So this describes clustering one of those switches, which is one way of doing it.

Then companies like voip.ms provide multiple servers with different IP's but use low TTL times to failover a DNS name to a different server. While not seamless, it does fix things in about 5 minutes or so.

You can do this also with load balancer. I believe both Barracuda and BigIP can load balance SIP traffic with outage detection . . .

That's a few ways I can think of to implement it with a more seamless customer experience. Stateful failover is trickier and needs clustering like the metaswitch implementation.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Mango: Hope you didn't take any of this personally. I use CallCentric, but it's a real bear for end-users. They could fix it if they really wanted to. Based upon the comments on DSL Reports, they apparently don't wanna. That's their call to make, but I think it costs them lots of business. Then again, that may be the type of business they have no interest in pursuing.

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
No offense taken! I was hoping I could learn a little about how other service providers do it as the ones I use all use DNS for load balancing and/or failover.

It is currently a moo point as Callcentric is down.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Mango, they just came back up..

If you have another way to setup trunks, could you share that with us? Thanks.

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
My PBX is behind a Tomato router (iptables firewall) that operates "restricted cone NAT". In other words, the router will only allow incoming traffic from a service provider I've recently registered to. I do have anonymous calls enabled, though that's not a security risk as unwanted SIP traffic is blocked by my router and never reaches the PBX. Since it is good practice, my default context is locked down fairly tight.

PBXEHR

Reaction score
I just signed up for CallCentric, 1000 minutes for $12.95 per month for my outbound calling after wrestling with my PBX in a Flash and Vitality for a week. Not the least expensive but its working. Why dialing out with Obi, Google Voice and CallCentric works while not Vitality remains a mystery.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.