FOOD FOR THOUGHT Cisco SPA525G

OTA

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone come across one of these in the wild or has anyone played with one yet? And does anyone know of a store that's actively selling them (rather than pre-ordering)?

This looks like THE phone to be shipping out with my execs when they want to have a phone in the field. Looks like it's just a hair larger than the 7905G, but full-featured. The Wifi client looks like an absolute winner to me.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I've not seen one just yet... but contrary to the Cisco label, look to be most definately NOT Cisco. It is rather the Sipura line of Linksys. So if you purchase one, I would recommend you compare it to Linksys than Cisco (which may or may not be a bad thing, just know there are differences).

OTA

Guru
Reaction score
I'm well aware of the phone's heritage, but at the same time the SPA525G is a new product. I don't think there's a Cisco 79xx equivalent at this point. The 7970/7971/7975 have a color screen, but aren't the same.

The 525G's ability to use Wifi to connect to the network + bluetooth headset support are what I find most interesting. The only downside I see is that it's headset jack is a 2.5mm, where I'd prefer a standard RJ9 in a business environment.

You do raise a good point -- what are these phones like compared to their true Cisco bretheren? The speakerphone on the 7960 is rather good, even if they do use a tinny speaker.

gomonn

Reaction score
I am just unpacking one of those .... we ordered two of them ..... Will soon jump into the unknown ... will let you know what happens. If someone has played with them, would be nice to have some input ...

xbusinessxcorex

Reaction score
I ordered two of then a few weeks ago, one died after a couple days. There is new firmware, ya gotta sign up for cisco's website and do all that stuff, but it is really important & fixes an outbound volume issue. I have not been able to get a BT headset to work with it on either firmware, seems to be more responsive via the phone interface than the webui. When i called cisco tech support they said there was a list of approved headsets. apparently Motorola h780's are not on that list. The USB key chain plug on the top is nifty for dumping garbage on the phone like pictures and mp3 ring tones. For the one that died i exchanged it for a polycom ip550. I really like the SPA525G but for a business environment id go with a polycom ip550 or a 7960 or something these are nice but its still linksys (no septate rj9 for a headset). in retrospect I'm kind of glad the one died. Don't let me make this sound like a bad phone, its not at all the jitter buffer is really cool and the audio quality + general feel is higher than grandstream but still not polycom or 79xx :-D if you have any questions please don't hesitate asking and ill see if i cant help.

gomonn

Reaction score
No BLF support on unused line buttons... That is a joke!
Most of the phones we have are GXP2000, with 7 buttons that you can use as you wish, never had echo problem on them, noticed today as I was trying the SPA525G a very subtle echo .... Don't tell me BT won't work ..... It is the main reason we bought these phones, instead of going for Plantronics devices (as expensive as the spa525 itself) ....
Right now, I am way more happy with my GXP2000 than the SPA, way more customizable (what do you expect from Cisco low end devices .....). And thanks for the tip about firmware, although that was my first disappointment ... You buy a devices from them, but cannot download any firmware from their site !!!!
Thanks for your help, my main concern was BLF configuration ....

G.

Alex728

Guru
Reaction score
seems like a retrograde step as the Linksys SPA942 certainly has BLF functions on the newest firmware, I've been using this for months!

you can get the firmware but unlike the old Linksys site you have to register with cisco.com. This goes for Linksys kit too...

gomonn

Reaction score
just downloaded firmware from the retailes' website, will check it out ... But the admin guide for SPAs states that BLF is only available for SPA942 and SPA962 + Extended functions (which are needed for BLF) "don't not apply to the SPA525G"

:cryin:

Alex728

Guru
Reaction score
it took them ages to implement BLF with Asterisk on the SPA942 - initially it only worked with the SPA9000(?) proprietary Linksys system - I do wonder if the marketing types at Cisco are deliberately discouraging this initially as they don't want to undermine the market for their proprietary phone systems - maybe they are trying to target these at the lower end and Asterisk is a competitor?

gomonn

Reaction score
xbusinessxcorex ... I am trying to get around the BLF problem, and use the shared line functionality to simulate BLF. Is there a way to fake a Broadsoft server with asterisk ?

gomonn

Reaction score
SPA525G Died

One of the 2 SPA525G died in less than a month .... Had not opened the second box, sent both back ... Getting Aastra 57i instead. After all I am glad it died, wanted to return them anyway ...
Got Bluetooth working whithout problem, but BLF was more important to me ...

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I can't believe the BLF doesn't work, it works on the Linksys 9xx series long as you know how to do it.

How about the speakerphone? That's the #1 BIG complaint on the SPA-962 ... some idiot decided to put the mic in the rear of the phone and it sucks. How's the 525G do it ??

fizadmin

Guru
Reaction score
I have to say, I just picked up two SPA525G2 (I guess Gen.2) and they work very well.

Couple of minor issues, like figuring out how to set up the t*f*t*p server or web access to provide custom wallpapers and ringtones.

TheMole

Guru
Reaction score
I have to say, I just picked up two SPA525G2 (I guess Gen.2) and they work very well.

Couple of minor issues, like figuring out how to set up the t*f*t*p server or web access to provide custom wallpapers and ringtones.

Do you know if this phone will display video streams from NON CISCO IP Cameras?

I think the answer is no. But I haven' t been able to confirm (without buying and testing one myself).

Thanks,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.