GOOD NEWS NEW UBIQUITI Phone

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Looks interesting - at $150 +/- priced right, wonder what Android OS it's running ?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Interesting if it works well over wifi. Always a pain to get that working well on inexpensive routers / access points (Tomato can probably do it mind you).

JayG30

Reaction score
Got this in my email today as well. Rushed here to see if anyone had posted or commented on it.

They look pretty nice but have no idea how well they will work. All I know is I love there other products so I have high hopes.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Love the design - though I think the 7" may be a bit too big. 5" looks like the perfect balance. Of course, that depends on your available desk real estate.
I wonder what benefit the Unifi controller will have. Special provisioning or something?

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Those are nice.... I wonder if I could make it work with a Call Manager system.........

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Love the design - though I think the 7" may be a bit too big. 5" looks like the perfect balance. Of course, that depends on your available desk real estate.
I wonder what benefit the Unifi controller will have. Special provisioning or something?

That first line is a quote I don't think I've ever heard before.

Interested to see these in real life will buy one for testing when they appear in Canada (if they appear here).

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Hey, they run Kit Kat and have a 1.2GHZ Cortex 9 processor and 4Gb RAM. Screen specs (ppi) are better than other Android phones that I have seen. HDMI out would have made it a grand slam. If they are not locked down and/or buggy, these things would be awesome.

Here is the datasheet for the series:
http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_VoIP_Phone_DS.pdf

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they're using standard 802.3af (or at depending on the model) PoE rather than their usual non-standard PoE. That's really good.
Standard 3.5mm headset jack like you'd find on a phone - no RJ9. Could potentially be a problem, though bluetooth negates that.
G722 is a wonderful addition.
Also mentions on the Executive (1) USB 2.0 microUSB Port and (1) USB 2.0 A Type USB Host Port. Since it already has WiFi and BT built in, what else to be added?

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
We also have some headsets that work over USB on our Cisco 9971s

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Theories on prices for the Pro and Executive? $149 for the UVP, I'm guessing $199 for UVP-Pro and $250 or $299 for the UVP-Executive

JayG30

Reaction score
Says you need 802.3at for the Pro and Executive models, which might be an issue for some.

billsimon

Reaction score
Is the tablet permanently mounted on the base? If so, I'm feeling that real buttons would be far better than a touch screen. Maybe I'm old-fashioned... (see avatar)

billsimon

Reaction score
Hmmm... so now your smart phone, no scratch that... your tablet, no scratch that... your phablet, yeah, that's it... so now your phablet is an immobile desk phone that you log in and out of, update often, reboot when it locks up, and somehow must place just so for your aging executive eyes and at touch distance. They should sell well at Brookstone next to the Bucky Balls at Christmas.
-- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29426858-

DSLR commenter seems a little skeptical. :)

james

Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't find anyone actually selling them including their own store.... Vaporware?
I may ping mike at E4 he normally gets these new toys

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
-- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29426858-

DSLR commenter seems a little skeptical. :)

DSLR boasts a healthy collection of nay-sayers. Probably wouldn't bet the farm on any opinions from there. Personally, I think Android on a desktop phone is a brilliant addition. Nobody has ever suggested you have to do your life's work on the phone. But having Skype and some of the other apps such GrooveIP and Google Calendar and Hangouts at your fingertips can be quite handy.

Bt3wlkAIAAEVOd2.jpg:large

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
...having Skype and some of the other apps such GrooveIP and Google Calendar and Hangouts at your fingertips can be quite handy.

I fully agree, but I guess only the market will eventually decide the final outcome.

When I first saw the form factor, my first impression was somewhat positive. But then I had to wonder why the handset needs to be wired, when it could have been bluetooth, and why does it need to be oriented like a wall-mounted phone? It all seems very unstabled pitched at such an oblique angle, but that is just my initial impression. I'd like to get one in my hands to get "the feel" of it.

As far as on-board apps, my curiosity would want to compare this product to a regular tablet/netbook/iPad with a softphone, which could potentially do a whole lot more, no?

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I think the smart bet on Android phones would be to come up with a dock with connection points (Ethernet, USB, headset, etc.) , a speakerphone and an old fashioned handset dedicated to a specific tablet such as a Nexus or Galaxy Note. You would then need to use a custom app (or overlay) that would run only on that dock/tablet combo This would allow the manufacturers to spend more time on the software and not have to worry so much about the hardware.

Biggest risk of this approach is an OS update breaks the phone overlay in some way and makes it unusable. That means the dock maker may be tempted to lock down the OS via it's overlay software thereby (probably) taking away from the theoretical flexibility this approach could have provided. I remember back to Motorola's whole line of Android phone accessories (i.e. Lapdock) which stopped working after a major update from Google. And then the support completely evaporated once Google bought Motorola. It was a shame as it was a real move forward in the whole computer/phone convergience arena and in a lot of respects was ahead of it's time. The irony is you can modify some of those Lapdock's to work with the BeagleBone Black and it would make a perfect terminal for PBXIAF on BBB :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.