FYI Introducing Digital Ocean

iSEPIC

Reaction score
jeff.h: Please reread the updated Nerd Vittles article. Further testing revealed some serious performance issues.

I've got to say if you have time, to give it another go. I've had my server on DO for almost a year now, and it's been a good 95% flawless. I say give it another go, because I had a lot of issues too, the solution was to kill that machine (droplet) and make another one, but you have to create another one FIRST then move it over, thus giving you a new IP (else it would recycle the old one). I have had to do this ONE time, and ever since I did it (at the advice of the DO staff via a support ticket) I've had zero issues. So I think some of their droplets are either having some issue they don't want to admit, or maybe they are having performance problems leaking from a heavy user, either way like I said I've not had any issues what so ever after I put it on another droplet.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I'll give it another go if for no other reason than the fact that they just sent me an email crediting my account with $5:

"I've noticed that you have signed up for DigitalOcean but decided to leave.

We are striving to provide the best cloud hosting experience for developers and would love for you to give us a shot! Here is a $5 promo credit that will provide you with one free month of hosting on our 512MB droplet."

/s/ Ben Uretsky
Co-Founder & CEO

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
If it's good for all items, then why do they say "for developers" ... where RentPBX is actually made in their business plan to run PBX's. Not knocking it, just my expressing my concerns.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Anything new with DO? Still thinking about trying them out for my home PBX and for temporary use while I rebuild a box.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Anything new with DO? Still thinking about trying them out for my home PBX and for temporary use while I rebuild a box.

As I noted elsewhere, we couldn't have built the Ubuntu and CentOS 7 platforms as quickly as we did without DO's ability to create and recreate images in minutes. It's a developer's dream come true. Can't really speak to long term use because we're delighted with the stability that RentPBX provides, but WOW... I'm sure glad to have both!

BtFxsXJIMAAoSah.jpg:large

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
I have had, and will continue to have, my main business PBX hosted on RentPBX. They are the rock, and provide excellent service.
That said, I've had 4 or 5 PIAF's running on DO Droplets... So far (about 6 months) uptime has been 99.995% on $5/month 512K Droplets.
And, as Ward says, they are awesome for quickie development!

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the code in the Nerd Vittles article has expired.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
In DO I see where I can change the name of my droplet, however they state that it's just the PTR record and the displayed name that change. I am good with that and I should be able to just change the hostname of my system internally without breaking anything right?

I ask because I am going to spin up another droplet that will eventually replace the one I am using now and will eventually destroy the existing one once everything is moved over to the new one.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Take a snapshot of your existing image. Then build a new droplet using that snapshot. It's a perfect backup image minus the droplet name.

FYI: Snapshot is kinda The Poor Man's Backup. It's an image of your droplet that's stored at Amazon for a few cents a month. Makes it easy to replicate a machine any time you like. You also can pass them along to somebody else with a DO account.

howardsl2

Guru
Reaction score
In DO I see where I can change the name of my droplet, however they state that it's just the PTR record and the displayed name that change. I am good with that and I should be able to just change the hostname of my system internally without breaking anything right?

I ask because I am going to spin up another droplet that will eventually replace the one I am using now and will eventually destroy the existing one once everything is moved over to the new one.
From what I understand, you can change the hostname within the DO droplet to anything you want, i.e. it does not have to match the droplet's name.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've seen a number of these extended outages over the past few weeks. As we said previously, DO is great as a development/test platform where your business and/or phone system doesn't require 24/7 reliability, but...

Btu6bZBCcAAvbDu.jpg:large

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
I received $0.09 for outages...so short that it was not even noticed. Testing homegrown HA with two droplets at different locations... we shall see.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.