TIPS Hardware sanity check

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
I know this question is worn out but I need a hardware sanity check.
I need to migrate a pbx to a new box and wanted to make sure it is powerful enough for my needs

pure voip environment
15 local extensions and 8 remote (vpn connected)
3-6 simultaneous calls with occasional bursts to 8 about 20% of the calls can be local to remote extension. Some calls last 30-45 minutes.
once weekly conference call with 5-10 participants

I have a retired atom d510 firewall that I can re purpose for this setup. Will this hardware handle these loads. I am especially worried about the conference calls. Should I just bite the bullet and get more powerful system?

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
You will be fine. I run several Foxconn nt-535 boxes with the D525 Atom and they work like a champ with a lot more users and connections than you list. You will be more worried about your bandwidth than the hardware :thumbsup:

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys
Just found out the box it is moving from is an older single core amd athlon 64 3500+
So the atom has more cores but lower speed (2.2 vs 1.6) So in reality the atom box is probably more powerful. Asterix/piaf takes advantage of more cores/threads . . .right?

I am only stressed because I need to make a good showing here, call issues would put me in a bind :)

matthew

Guru
Reaction score
Asterix/piaf takes advantage of more cores/threads . . .right?

To tell the truth, I'm not sure that /Asterisk/ will take advantage of more cores, but the operating system will. That means all the other processes running such as mysql, httpd, etc will be able to give asterisk some elbow room.

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
To finish this out, after toying with the idea of going Ubuntu I ended doing the smart thing and installed PIAF green. I actually put ubuntu on the server but realized once again I am just more comfortable in RHEL and its derivatives. Something about Ubuntu just puts me off.
I also played with Centos 7 a little this weekend, suffice to say that I am staying 6.5 until it matures a little :) I was going to migrate a few of my centos hyperv images but for now they will wait.

I migrated from a piaf installation that was installed before they used colors and so I had a small learning curve with the new freepbx interface but I managed.
Performance on this box has been good so far with two small issues. The bigger one is that the webmin process keeps going <defunct> and driving the load up when it try's to restart. NBD, I just made webmin so it does not start and the 2 times a year I need it I will manually start it.
The other issue is that fail2ban is hanging the server on reboot. I suspect it *might* be fixed now that webmin is now off but can't test until later. I think it is webmin related because fail2ban processor usage in top dropped dramatically when I killed webmin. Like 60% to .7% cpu usage drop.

JayG30

Reaction score
Well according to a post I saw on Reddit the other day, an Atom system can handle two VM's each with a 1000 extensions. Seems legit.

Even though I think that person is a bit crazy, you should note that the Atom he was speaking about is nothing like the old time atoms.
They are actually quite a bit more powerful. You can build some pretty impressive machines with them.

C2758
C2750

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.