FOOD FOR THOUGHT Mitel 5224

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Hi, I found 11 mitel 5224's for sale locally for $150 for the lot, they don't have power adapters so I would need power adapters or Poe injectors. Is it possible to unlock these phones if the admin page is locked? Also do all of the 5224s do SIP? If it is possible to unlock them are these phones worth picking up? A couple of these would be used on my home Piaf server, are they any good for home use?

Thanks
Jarrod1024

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I have my house running almost entirely on 5224s. Love them!
Of all of mine, I've never seen any locked. They were designed for use with a Mitel IP PBX like the 3300 or 200ICP but don't "lock" per-se.
For SIP compatibility, you want to find out if they are the 5224 or 5224 Dual Mode. There are a few older revisions that are not dual-mode and only boot MiNet.
If they are dual mode, just hold down the "down arrow" button on start up and change the phone mode to SIP. If you're lucky, they will still have the SIP firmware on them.
FYI, BLF doesn't completely work. The buttons themselves work fine for most anything else. I love the speakerphone - it's excellent!

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Ok thanks, will it say dual mode right on it somewhere if it is or would you have to power it up to find out? And if they don't still have the sip firmware on them can I get it online? Also do you know if they will work with those passive Poe adapters on eBay?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
There's a label on the back that will say just "5224" or "5224 Dual-Mode"
No, passive won't work. They only work with 802.3af PoE (actual PoE).

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Hey, so I got the phones and everything seems to be working except intercom auto answer and the mute key for some strange reason, any ideas how to get these working?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Intercom auto answer has always worked out of the box for me. *80EXT works fine. As for the mute key, does it light up or not or what?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I had removed the * from my intercom code but I will re-add it and see if that makes a difference, it rings when I use it just not auto answer, and as for the mute key it doesn't light up. I've tried 2 phones and neither mute key works, I'm going to try 1 more but a hardware issue seems unlikely being that 2 aren't working I would think.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I noticed that if I use the intercom prefix it will ring 2 times then it says busy here, if I don't it keeps ringing.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with my mute keys. I don't think there's any configuration you can do to it either, at least not that I've noticed.
It's been so long since I've had to change anything on them (rock solid), perhaps there was a "Auto Answer by Call Info" in the web config?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I only see 1 auto answer setting and it auto answers all calls, as for the mute button could it be network or pbx related or is it all done in the phone?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Would you happen to know what software version your phones are on? These ones are on v04.00.00.07 which seems to be pretty old.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Wow, yeah that's definitely old. I'm on R8.0.08.00.00.04 which I think is the latest. May explain your issues. I may have the firmware files somewhere...
Edit: Looks like I only have the latest FW, not the intermediate (5, 6, and 7) that are required to go to 8. Sorry.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Good news!, firmware v7 seems to have both issues fixed, I'd imagine version 8 should be good too

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I recall I had an issue with 8 which forced me back to 7. I don't remember what the issue was, but if 7 works for you, I wouldn't sweat looking for 8!

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I actually ended up finding the firmware on google, I updated all the phones to version 7 and everything is working now. My only other question is do these phones support multiple extensions? And if so how do you add extensions? Not a big deal if they don't, just can't seem to find a whole lot of info on them online.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Also 1 of the phones came with a pkm module attached to it but no cable, is it just a standard Ethernet cable or is the wiring different?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know if it's possible to have 1 intercom key that I can press then Press the extensions speed dial key after instead of also having an intercom key for each extension? I tried putting a semicolon after the *80 but it doesn't seem to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.