PIONEERS Living the Ubuntu Dream

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Anything new here? I need to launch a newly rebuilt Foxconn box for a site next week. My testing has been OK so far, but wasn't sure if there were going to be any major updates in the near future.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I tried to install PBXIAF on a fresh i86 Ubuntu server box and it blew up for me unfortunately. I kept getting time outs on the downloads, in particular the main Asterisk dl but others from Ubuntu had issues as well. I had been stopping and restarting the script when it hung up but finally decided to let it run all night and when I looked at it the next morning the script said the installation had completed. Rebooted and no Asterisk lovin. Ran the scripts again and it said PBXIAF was already installed and wouldn't go any further. So short of reloading Ubuntu I gave up as I don't have time to diddle with it for a little while. Not sure what I did wrong although I did not necessarily follow the guide for setup of a cloud server that was referenced in the tutorial as I was not using a virtual server.

I must comment however that the desktop in Ubuntu is absolutely fabulous. Beats previous ones on Debian and Centos that I have experienced. This to me proves how far Linux has come and with some exceptions makes a definite substitute for iOS and Windows.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sorry you had trouble, Jay Deal. We still are dependent upon Digium's servers to get a successful build. Unfortunately, it's not a five 9's operation just yet. You're absolutely right on the Ubuntu desktop. Would make a great traveling notebook platform. Try again on Incredible PBX when you get a chance. Weekdays tend to me more reliable than weekends for downloads.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
Hey it was billed clearly as more or less cutting edge so no apologies on PBXIAF's part are necessary. I more blamed myself for a semi-lack of knowledge more than anything else plus I was performing the install somewhat outside of the scope of the tutorial. One should, I believe, still consider PBXIAF on Ubuntu to be 'pioneerish so ones expectations should be as such. If it doesn't necessarily work for you because of a SNAFU in one of the script components than, at least for now, you should be prepared to maybe have to redo a few things. And considering the amount of effort on the teams part to get this to work to begin with, well, I certainly have no complaints.

sukasem

Guru
Reaction score
I notice there is iSymphony3 but I got error Failed to contact the iSymphony server.
Is it work out of the box or need extra step to set up?
Thanks,

sukasem

Guru
Reaction score
I am hesitant to even say this because it's anecdotal at best, but just navigating around in PIAF on Ubuntu just seems snappier. It has an overall faster feel, no hesitation at all with menus, actions, etc. Have been out celebrating the 30th anniversary of my 16th birthday, so I am just now getting home and 0515 comes way early in the morning. I'll rebuild and get some trunks up with Flowroute and DID Logic tomorrow.

I noticed that web interface faster too.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
I wanted to report back on my attempt at making this work. This time I tried it on an old Dell D610 Latitude laptop (2.00GHZ Pentium M, 1GB Ram, 120GB HD) and this time it worked. I think the error I made before was not setting up a root password (Ubuntu does not have you make one by default). I kind of glanced over that part in the tutorial and once I figured that out, the load went smoothly.

Only issue I am having right now are that shutdown and reboot don't work from the CLI so I have to physically turn off or reboot the machine. Seems to be a problem with 14.04 and transient for some folks. But at least I got it to work and it repurposed an old trusty friend I had put away for retirement. I would agree that the GUI is snappier. Keeping fingers crossed that everything continues to work and is not broken by an Ubuntu update which seems to be a problem recently.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah it will do that from the CLI directly on the machine, but it works from an SSH session if you do reboot && reboot.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
"reboot && reboot" :eek: Holy smokes, worked like a charm! Thanks Jeff. I've been googling and binging this off and on all day and didn't come across that suggestion.

dogma1

Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to report back on my attempt at making this work. This time I tried it on an old Dell D610 Latitude laptop (2.00GHZ Pentium M, 1GB Ram, 120GB HD) and this time it worked. I think the error I made before was not setting up a root password (Ubuntu does not have you make one by default). I kind of glanced over that part in the tutorial and once I figured that out, the load went smoothly.

Only issue I am having right now are that shutdown and reboot don't work from the CLI so I have to physically turn off or reboot the machine. Seems to be a problem with 14.04 and transient for some folks. But at least I got it to work and it repurposed an old trusty friend I had put away for retirement. I would agree that the GUI is snappier. Keeping fingers crossed that everything continues to work and is not broken by an Ubuntu update which seems to be a problem recently.

Jay:

I have never made a root password and I started this whole mess (gave Ward my script), you only need to sudo su then put in your password to get root access til you type in exit. It is the same as making a root password this is how Ubuntu community made their system. If you only sudo the script you probably will have trouble as root powers may change during execution.

When I started this Ubuntu 14.04 LTS had about 25 packages to up grade I think now it is up to almost 80 and it seams to still work.

On another note:

One downside to the way Ward has the system is if Asterisk is updated is you will have to recompile instead of having to just tell the computer to upgrade. Some downsides to the way I did it was it would usually be behind one or two cycles of the new releases from Digium and you give up some control. So you have to weight your options to what you want, there is no right way just different ways that work.

I like options:cheers2: just my two cents worth.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, Eric. In complete fairness to you, I'm posting your original script for anyone that would like to take it for a spin. Thanks again.

Attachments

• FreePBX.tar.gz
    13 KB · Views: 3

dogma1

Guru
Reaction score
They need to know that Mysql needs to be set to the password in the script as I do not have an answer script to automate and there will be questions need to be answered. Mine is not automated like yours

dogma1

Guru
Reaction score
Anyone interested in Asterisk 12 with FreePBX 12 Bata?

Should start new Post?

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys feel ubuntu is getting close to being ready for production use? Or are we still very much in the pioneer stage?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Need some more folks beating on it before we jump off the bridge. :cowboy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.