SOLVED Sleep in peace / security

Flashy

Reaction score
Hello

I installed PiaF, like on this guide. PBX is behind router without open ports, do I need to do something else to have peaceful sleep?

I also have Openvox analog card with POTS lines, to make it work I had to install their version of Dahdi and one dependence from their guide. I hope this is fine with security.

Extra question, it is wise to use this PC also as Samba server for office files?

Thank you,

Flashy

progs_00

Reaction score
Hello Flashy
PBXIAF is one of the safest options you have of running a PBX. The attack surface of the system is quite small and by closing down the ports on your router it's practically null.
Of course you don't have to take my word for it. Just go around in the net and you will find people calling PBXIAF's security paranoid.
Since in my book the only level of security is a paranoid security I would stick with this distro, learn to use its tools and ALWAYS check the logs.
That said your configuration seems quite secure (although you don't mention the single most essential part of it, the router) but if I were in your shoes I would avoid running any other service on the PBX system unless it's necessary to do so
Hope to have helped.
Bye

Flashy

Reaction score
Thank you for help. I will then better separate Samba, colleagues are sometimes playful during work time. My router is ZXV10 H201 .

Flashy

progs_00

Reaction score
Flashy
I'm not personally familiar with this particular model however I know that some ISPs here in my country give it to end users. It's not the all time greatest and I've heard of some oddities regarding port forwarding but I've never heard of any particular problem regarding its NAT or firewall implementation. I'd sleep pretty well If I were you :)
P.S. Welcome to the paranoid group my friend. Sure you don't want to give elastix a shot? :smilielol5:

Flashy

Reaction score
Thanks for tips, we can never learn enough about security. For now I will stay with PiaF, later I might try Elastix.

progs_00

Reaction score
You're welcome Flashy (and just for the record if it wasn't clear enough I was just kidding about the elastix distro. As far as I'm concerned going from PBXIAF to Elastix would be a step backwards security-wise)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.