FYI Introducing Digital Ocean

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
What's the trick to getting the free credit? I've signed up, but haven't gone as far as billing info...

(Edit: I was just following the link in this forum. I'll go read NerdVittles for clues...)

(Edit2: Actually read the NerdVittles post and discovered the trick...)

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Got it; thanks. During my first read I didn't see your "Today on NerdVittles" in the OP. Actually going to your NerdVittles post answered my questions. Spinning up a droplet as we (virtually) speak!

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Totally minor typo issue: when you return to the droplet (in my case, via Putty) after "./piaf3-install" and prior to selecting "choose option A to install PBX in a Flash," even though selecting a CentOS 6.5 install one is greeted by this:

login as: root​
CentOS release 6.4 (Custom) on \m​
In order to continue your​
PIAF/SIAF/CIAF/XIAF/FIAF/VIAF Installation​
Please log in as root to continue​

iSEPIC

Reaction score
After creating the droplet, credentials are emailed to you. Probably wise to reset the OS root password with the 'passwd' command. Does anyone know if you can you add SSH keys after the droplet has been created?

Yes, as a matter of fact, if you add your public ssh keys to your profile, any droplet you make (in the future) will have the keys auto-added.
They don't send you the password, but of course, you can just change the pw after you log in using your keys anyway.

A how-to is here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys--2

Then you just add those keys to home/.ssh/ folder

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Are these servers good enough to use as a failover backup?

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
Thanks Ward! Dropped $5 on signup and got the $10 credit. Followed the nerdvittles instructions and spun up like a breeze. One note: although I set my timezone in the initial setup a check with "date" after setup indicated the wrong (Eastern US) zone. A quick "./timezone-setup" corrected it easily.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
To all the NSA lovers out there, they are certainly not doing that anymore or they wouldn't be in business still but I remember DO had an issue in the past were they decided that it was creating too much load on their system to scrub the block device in between customers... It was an additional flag and you had to opt-in because they were trying to scrub only when specifically asked. So they were passing all your data to the next guy who happened to spin a VM on top of your old SSD... once you had shutdown your droplet... :batman: They insisted the user was in control and he could prevent leakage by specifically asking for his data to be scrubbed...?

Like I said, they saw the light at some point :angel:... when experts and people on the Internet repeatedly told them they were crazy... no matter the load aspect...they needed to never leak data between VM like that... so don't worry!
Funny story, if you're not the guy who discovered it after scraping a VM full of production credentials and private keys...

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
...should i use neorouter?...
The only thing I can say about the full internet exposure of any host like DigitalOcean is that layers of security make it more difficult for the bad guys. For the several days I've been running my install on DO, with both TM2 and TM3 up an running I have not had any attacks shown in the fail2ban logs. My dynamic ADSL address changes are taken care of by registration with NOIP.com and properly picked up by ipchecker on the PIAF server and are shown to be correct in the output of the "iptables -L" command. Since I'm a half-dumbass novice at this I will just have to check methodically to see if things stay safe.

Insofar as Neorouter, I installed it quickly on DO server without encountering any difficulties. I was having problems with Zoiper SIP/IAX client on my android phone making a connection over 4g data. After some time fiddling with it I gave up and installed Neorouter server and client on DO, and Neorouter client on my android. Now Zoiper immediately connects to the DO PIAF server through the Neorouter tunnel over 4g.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Insofar as Neorouter, I installed it quickly on DO server without encountering any difficulties. *** I gave up and installed Neorouter server and client on DO, and Neorouter client on my android. Now Zoiper immediately connects to the DO PIAF server through the Neorouter tunnel over 4g.

Possibly dumb question: are you installing Neorouter within a single DO droplet (the one housing your PIAF server), or is it in a separate/different droplet?

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
Possibly dumb question: are you installing Neorouter within a single DO droplet (the one housing your PIAF server), or is it in a separate/different droplet?
I installed NR in the same droplet.

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
But i run the inhouse line with Mesh networking and additional with a VPN Provider. (OpenVPN)

Are you part of a Freifunk mesh? Do you have one device as your OpenVPN client that allows your other computers/devices/endpoints to route through it to your VPN service, or is each device a separate OpenVPN client connecting to your VPN service?

It would be a great help if you could diagram / explain your setup in more detail.

[Sind Sie Teil eines Freifunk-Mesh? Haben Sie ein Gerät als OpenVPN-Client, der anderen Computern / devices / Endpunkten ermöglicht Route durch es zu Ihrem VPN-Dienst, oder ist jedes Gerät ein separates OpenVPN-Client eine Verbindung zu Ihrem VPN-Dienst?

Es wäre eine große Hilfe sein, wenn Sie Diagramm / erklären Ihr Setup im Detail könnte.]

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you're going to allow calls to everywhere, you don't need a list. The whole security point is to only enable calling to countries you actually need.

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
Ok visionlogic i hope to get yours interest becausei am not good to explain a guide i think its better to set some links...

It's certainly interesting, but is beyond my complete grasp to this point. Perhaps someone else here will be able to help. I wish you luck on your proof of concept experimentation.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Reading the article on Nerd Vittles you say that Rent PBX is still the better more stable option, but you say DO is rock solid. I am considering testing one of them out for my own PBX then maybe deploying for some of my sites that have Foxconn units onsite if it works well enough. Which one would you recommend?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
My question is that DO advertises their setup is good for developers, because you can spin up something quick, shut it down and bring up another, etc. My question for you having a PBX on there forever, is what is their uptime and any guarantees, etc.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Sorry guys but you can't beat Rentpbx! I recommend them now exclusively to my commercial customers and they have .9998 uptime (still working on 0001!) This is based on my clientele and is totally unscientific! That being said they have been a long term supporter of PBX in a Flash and we would not be where we are today without their support. We really need to support them as opposed to jumping to the cheapest...

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.