FYI mypbx vs. mypbx.mylocaldomain

faixbp

Reaction score
When installing CentOS 6.5 preparatory to installing PIAF Version 3, we're asked by the CentOS installer to enter the hostname. The default is localhost.localdomain.

My question: for a typical home user with a PIAF box behind a home router, and without our own FQDN, what are the advantages and disadvantages of setting the CentOS hostname to mypbx.mylocaldomain vs. setting it to just mypbx.

Thanks.

progs_00

Reaction score
Hello faixbp.
I would choose pbx.localdomain. The one "advantage" I see is in setting up your emails / voicemails, that would be a bit more problematic if you don't use .localdomain
Other than that, it's a matter of preference

Hope to have helped you
Bye

faixbp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply progs_00.

When you say it would be more problematic if I don't use .localdomain, what problem(s) do you foresee with emails/voicemails?

progs_00

Reaction score
More than foreseeing it, it's actually something I experienced during the setup of my Raspberry.You see initially raspberry has its hostname setup as "raspbx" instead of a more convenient "raspbx.local".
Now if you try to setup your mail address for the extensions having voicemail you would get something like an
xxx@raspbx
which would not be accepted. Instead [email protected] is perfectly valid.
I'm sure there is a way to overcome the .local part missing, but I guess it's way easier having it setup "correctly" right from the start.
P.S. Please excuse my English as it's not my native language.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.