TRY THIS IncrediblePBX VM (latest) Disconnect when long silences on calls?

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
Starting to doubt Oracle VirtualBox support as PIAF & IncrediblePBX all have instabilities (except an older PIAF VM which is bulletproof).

Latest IncrediblePBX VM seems pretty stable except when on a call such as speakerphone and a very long silence transpires, it drops the call without any notice nor the endpoint showing it dropped either - but it's dropped (eventually the endpoint will disconnect as well giving you some visual, but it takes a while!).

Anyone seeing this as well (i.e. should I dump all current Oracle VM releases and either revert way back or go bare metal)?

Thanks all!

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Ward (as ever). First one isn't it as your default config is nicely within params there. As for the second, most don't apply but all I can think of is that something has changed in the OS or Asterisk or FreePBX 12 possiby - because:

Short version, I have several installs all using Intel NUC's and Grandstgream 3240's plus my own setup (Intel NUC & Cisco 7971/7960/Grandstream3240/Siemens/Snoms) using Oracle VirtualBox under Windows 7 SP1 that all behave *identically* on every release of PIAF-Green 32-bit after v2.0.6.4! Degrading choppy audio that eventually tanks the PIAF ability to handle outbound calls without reboot, then as you reboot (or over time) the choppy problem happens faster & faster requiring more frequent reboots to keep the phones up.

Besides the very stable v2.0.6.4 PIAF-Green 32-bit -- the only release (I have tried all of them in 64-bit anyway!) has been this latest IncrediblePBX VM w/FreePBX12 that seems (so far) to be stable without the choppy audio problem ... but I can't get t*f*t*p through the security & I have this call on speaker without much dialog hangup after several minutes issue now?

Hate to go back to baremetal, long slow installs, & added hardware at every installation site to get stability ... but ... hmmm

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Don't know whether I messed with these settings in the new Incredible PBX builds so it's probably worth exploring before you throw in the towel.

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
Will do. Curious (off topic but brief) -- is Sourceforge PIAF 3.6.5 the same as 3.0.6.6 which is what happens when you wget from pbxinaflash.com per your how-to directions?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Microsoft has the free hyper v server that works fine with PIAF in the half dozen deployments I've done on it. Not open source of course, but free at least.

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
You got Hyper-V to work?! I tried under a few releases & had all sorts of things fail. What release if PIAF did you use, Linux OS behind it, and any other tips?

Tried CentOS 6.6 with PIAF 3.6.5 just now & it hangs at ATD startup on boot up after piaf installer finishes ...

Thanks!

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
You got Hyper-V to work?! I tried under a few releases & had all sorts of things fail. What release if PIAF did you use, Linux OS behind it, and any other tips?

Tried CentOS 6.6 with PIAF 3.6.5 just now & it hangs at ATD startup on boot up after piaf installer finishes ...

Thanks!

I've done it with all the versions, though my favourite is 2.0.6.5 still; that's the one I have the VHD file for (PIAF Green - Asterisk 11.5 and 2.11 FPBX, though I routinely upgrade the asterisk now after I install it manually as it's quite behind). It worked fine with 3.0.6.5 though in my testing; Used CentOS 6.6.

The reasons it usually hangs is because of the vga=791 in the grub boot configuration. If you can edit that (and it isn't easy - I usually have to try about 5x to get it to save for some reason) then it works.

MrBostn also uses HyperV if memory serves also.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Yup happy HyperV user here. I use 2012R2. Make sure you use vhd, not vhdx. you also need to make that VGA=791 edit.

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V, CentOS 6.6 minimal x64 iso, wget piaf3-install.tar.gz from pbxinalfash.com (3.6.5), 2GB for VM, 20GB VHD file created and attached to VM guest first before OS install, OS default disk provisioning of partitions (rather than the more specific custom recommendation from Ward/Tom in previous articles) ...

Everything is fine until piaf3-install. It spends alot of time downloading/compiling/etc. and on the first reboot (still incomplete piaf3) it takes me to the "Please make a selection" screen with choices A/B/C and I hit "A" for "Continue with installation of our products" and I get a prompt after a few moments. Done.

Reboot by hand shows the VGA=791 line (which unless removed, puts the VM guest in a boot loop with lots of messages, copying data, etc.!).

I have an entire "How To" I was building a while ago to help others with Hyper-V I was going to post here & steps are still current valid -- still no joy though.

Any hints or thoughts? Should I post the How-To as I have it to see if you guys can think of any steps to insert into the process?

Thanks.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Getting rid of the vga=791 line is harder than you think. It keeps re-appearing for some reason - I have to interrupt grub, edit it, boot in, then find the actual file where that's stored, then delete it out of there again, then reboot. Sometimes I have to do that twice for some reason. I blame darmock for putting it back :)

rjaiswal

Reaction score
I'm happily running PIAF in hyper-v myself. It's very stable. Haven't had any issues so far.
I migrated about 3 months ago. "Migrated" meaning installed fresh copy, and cut and pasted my settings from physical machine to VM.

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
atsak - if I don't edit it out (interrupt boot, e to edit, select the kernel entry, e to edit again, etc.) the system gets into a boot loop doing some kind of repair or who knows - but if I do the edit to grub at boot then piaf3-install comes up to the next menu step (that fails however). So very different response, so I'm thinking the grub edit is hold at least for that boot session I do it to ... yet the piaf3-install dumps still. Thoughts?

rjaiswal - any tips on exactly what you did, or what you used would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to provide a step by step how to to the forum here for over a year starting with v2.0.6.0 & have tried every release always with the same issues/limitations (and across 3 different servers, although all are Windows 2012R2 and I always try to use x64 guest OS's).

Thanks guys, appreciate even just the input thus far!

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I also found I had to answer Y to enable menuselect, but change nothing and save it (even though that's not recommended). have you tried that?

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
Can't get far enough to have that option I'm afraid - ugh.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
The way I got it to work was to edit the install script and remove the vga=791 from the grub statement.

ksDevGuy

Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE

Well after many failed attempts across almost every release since 2.0.6.x onward, skipping kernel-devel seemed to get rid of most problems - however, still SIP issues with the "XMIT send data" error others have seen on Intel NUC distro's etc. (although we use/love the NUC's without issue!).

ANYHOW ...

Latest Incredible PBX 13.2 ISO 11/29/2015 seems to be an evolutionary step forward on two counts --- 1) Works out of box to setup a Hyper-V PBX (with one install tweak), 2) Has a barebones install so as not to conflict with various 3 digit extension ranges clients may have (Thanks Ward & Tom! The best you guys are!).

So the very short version on Hyper-V (so far) is a running Incredible PBX with trunk access and softphone extension using a PJSIP extension (had issues with CHAN_SIP even though 5061 specified on both softphone and PBX?! Aggravating/confusing, but hopefully PJSIP will play nice with Grandstream, Cisco, and Panasonic endpoints as we use most often ... ).

The ONLY caveat was on the first reboot it was trying to detect some enhanced disk and hung --- solution: rebooot and press "e" to edit the GRUB then select 2nd entry and "e" again to add the line "edd=off" to the second entry & voila! Everything was cookie cutter out of the box as the Ward & Tom have ordained it to be for us!

Still migrating & will need to run for a while -- but will report back on stability/reliability in a while.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Aggravating/confusing, but hopefully PJSIP will play nice with Grandstream, Cisco, and Panasonic endpoints as we use most often ... ).
BLFs are broken on PJSIP with Grandstream. Please post details if they work for you.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Will do, however, quick research shows the RFC4235 spec still appears to be missing from PJSIP in Asterisk 13.6 (Nov 2015): https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24601 ... although one guy got some working with a single line of code & recompile: http://forums.asterisk.org/viewtopic.php?p=209189
Yeah, I tried that patch. It didn't seem to do any good, but I only spent about 10 minutes on it. I need to re-visit and test further, but chan_sip works fine for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.