SOLVED DTMF fails in IPBX 13-12 Ubuntu Yate SIP Client

chris_c_

Reaction score
I installed IPBX 13-12 on Ubuntu 14.04 mini, on Virtualbox latest version, running on the same LAN subnet, different machine and IP, using the guide:
http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14183

I setup Yate client to log into 701@ipaddress and the corresponding password. That works fine.

I dial into the Demo by dialing 3366, it picks up and Alison starts talking...

For the life of me I can't get the DTMF touch tones to work. No matter what I dial, while the call in progress, fails to be registered by IPBX... it's as if IPBX can't hear anything, although I thought the DTMF tones were sent out-of-band as data rather than actual audio tones...?!

(For the record, dialing while in a call to the IPBX demo... whether it was actual DTMF audio tones, or out of band digital bytes... has previously worked fine, many months ago when I last installed an older version of IPBX. )

How do you even troubleshoot this ?!

Anyone else have this same issue ?!

chris_c_

Reaction score
Same failure while using the X-Lite client. It's as if the Ipbx DEMO (3366) is deaf to the touch tones that it's expecting to hear....

Anyone help fix this ??

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
You'll need to do a bit more troubleshooting, and review your logs during the call.

I would also try calling an 'outside line' to a number where an IVR greets the caller, and I'm sure you think of a few of those. Se if the same situation happens when calling your bank, Visa center, or telephone company. A few more clues are required.

chris_c_

Reaction score
You'll need to do a bit more troubleshooting, and review your logs during the call.

I would also try calling an 'outside line' to a number where an IVR greets the caller, and I'm sure you think of a few of those. Se if the same situation happens when calling your bank, Visa center, or telephone company. A few more clues are required.

1. Here's a video that shows ipbx not responding to dtmf tones from x-lite:

2. I haven't configured 'outgoing calling' ability on this ipbx 13-12 yet. Because the calls to "DEMO" (3366) should be working fine (today's weather, today's news) because the ipbx would only be required to have internet access (and it does have internet access) to fetch the info and read it with its text-to-speech engine, to the caller who is calling in on internal extension 701... but for whatever reason, the dtmf tones are failing, so this reading of the news or weather is not possible?!

3. Any suggestion WHICH log to examine in /var/log/asterisk ... and which keywords to grep for

4. FYI ipbx is using pjsip driver, the default choice, not the chan_sip driver, if that makes any difference with dtmf.

chris_c_

Reaction score
(Following up, I don't know whether these 3 issues might be related to the DTMF fail, or separate issues...)

Same ubunutu 14.04 32 bit server on VirtualBox (latest version).

apt-get upgrades of all packages, has led to...

Mysql now won't start, so I'm unable to login to IPBX admin web interface!

1. "udev", "systemd-services", and "libpam-systemd:i386" refuse to install, they hang forever...
Code:
chris@incredible:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Setting up udev (204-5ubuntu20.13) ...
(This will sit here stuck in an infinite loop, until you hit Control-D...!)
start: Job is already running: udev
invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing package udev (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of systemd-services:
systemd-services depends on udev (>= 175-0ubuntu23); however:
  Package udev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package systemd-services (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpam-systemd:i386:
libpam-systemd:i386 depends on systemd-services (= 204-5ubuntu20.13); however:
  Package systemd-services is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package libpam-systemd:i386 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                                                                          No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
udev
systemd-services
libpam-systemd:i386
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
chris@incredible:~$

2. htop shows nrservice, 2 processes, consuming 90% each!
Load average 1.8 this is bad...

I stop the Neorouter client service and load average returns to normal 0.4

3. When I start mysql it hangs forever and never actually starts!
Code:
service mysql start

Exact error from /var/log/mysql/error.log:
Code:
150803  6:53:03 [Note] Plugin 'InnoDB' is disabled.
150803  6:53:03 [Note] Server hostname (bind-address): '127.0.0.1'; port: 3306
150803  6:53:03 [Note]  - '127.0.0.1' resolves to '127.0.0.1';
150803  6:53:03 [Note] Server socket created on IP: '127.0.0.1'.
150803  6:53:03 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Cannot assign requested address
150803  6:53:03 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on port: 3306 ?
150803  6:53:03 [ERROR] Aborting

150803  6:53:03 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

This makes no sense. "netstat" shows nothing bound to port 3306 ...?!

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
Oops. You've probably trashed your installation. Sorry.
DO NOT TRY TO DO AN UPGRADE ON AN UBUNTU INSTALL.

The pbx install adds a utility called 'status', and sets the path for the root user so it gets called instead of the system version. The upgrade process uses the system status to tell when various services are shut down - like udev, systemd stuff, etc. The reason it hangs forever, is the pbx status command waits for you to 'OK' it... and it can't tell it was run without a terminal, so it hangs.

On all my new installs, my first thing is to mv the pbx-installed status to pbx_status (and change the root users profile to run it.) Learned that one the hard way.

If you've done that rename, it should be safe to run the upgrade (maybe.)

chris_c_

Reaction score
Thanks Dave.
That would explain why when I was doing the standard debian/ubuntu command:
Code:
service apache2 status
I expect back something like
Code:
apache2: started
but instead ipbx gives me the big text screen with colored indicators next to all of the ipbx related services and waits for you to press enter!

System reserved words!
IPBX team, it's real important to respect the operating system's reserved words/commands, and don't overwrite them with your own version!
status seems to be a reserved word on debian/ubuntu.
Better to use pbx_status so there won't be a collision and all that grief....

I nominate the ipbx "status" command be officially changed to "pbx_status" so this bug doesn't bork any more ipbx installations.

chris_c_

Reaction score
These commands fix this bug/design flaw/borking of the debian/ubuntu OS "status" command..
Code:
sudo su root
mv /usr/local/sbin/status /usr/local/sbin/pbx_status
mv /sbin/statusU /sbin/status
reboot

Question : Will the IPBX web gui fail because it's invoking "status" (and getting back the operating system status command) when it really wants to invoke "pbx_status" ??

I'd like there to be a config option to set the path of the command to "pbx_status"... default to
Code:
/usr/local/sbin/pbx_status

chris_c_

Reaction score
The "fix" for this DTMF failing:
1. Click Softphone
2. Click Preferences.
3. Click Calls.
4. Change DTMF setting, from "Send via RFC-2833," to "Send via INFO."

Question:
Isn't Asterisk/FreePBX/PIAF/IPBX supposed to support RFC-2833 touch tone signalling ?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.