TIPS Raspberry Pi 2 Install

bravonoj

Reaction score
Howdy folks - just did an awesome fresh install on Raspberry Pi 2 following Ward's awesome (simple) instructions - it is working but I wanted to ask if anyone else has done it and if they are experiencing verrrry slow/sluggish web GUI response/load times. Like clicking on a link to get to FreePBX takes literally over 15 seconds just to load the System Overview page - clicking on the Announcements link takes another 3-5 seconds just to respond and load that page. It is painful going to configure anything. Any advice? Or is this the norm for the GUI on Raspberry Pi? I have it loaded on a 32 gig card (not that that has anything to do with the speed)

thanks - any insight from those much more knowledgeable than I?

-Jon

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Start turning off modules you don't use in Module Admin. That will make a world of difference in performance. Also some useful tips in this thread on the FreePBX Forum.

bravonoj

Reaction score
Going through and disabling will be enough correct? Or should I be uninstalling as I go?

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Just disable - the storage on the SD card doesn't matter. Make sure that you have a card that meets Ward's speed suggestion (check the article).

Once you have it set up, you'll find that operationally the GUI speed doesn't matter. It's slow to set up, but calls are 'full speed' and not slow motion.

Andrew

bravonoj

Reaction score
yep - I figured storage wasn't a problem; I have 24g free and used a 32gig card. Audio seemed to be a bit jittery but it may be due to external factors, such as the relatively crappy GSWave app I am using on my galaxy 4 that has iffy wireless to begin with. Looking forward to setting it up as a second line on one of my Yelling 48G phones tonight to test it fully.

I tried to set up travelin man and I keep getting what seems to be a sql error any time I try to execute a command. Can't remember what the error was exactly; I can try it later tonight and post the error to see.

Got wolfram alpha set up properly - what an awesome app to have on the phone at your beck and call!

Only thing left is to try and install Cepstral but I don't think I'll have much luck on that one since it doesn't look like theres one available for the Pi processor (correct me if I'm wrong).

thanks for all the help with my install - it truly is an impressive box that will simplify my home network a bit and certainly cut down on the power consumption of my rack!

For those interested, there is a company that makes a dual rack mount bracket for 2 Raspberry Pis: http://www.amazon.com/19-Rack-Mount-Kit-Raspberry/dp/B00HVOF652

Thanks again!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just disable - the storage on the SD card doesn't matter. Make sure that you have a card that meets Ward's speed suggestion (check the article).

Once you have it set up, you'll find that operationally the GUI speed doesn't matter. It's slow to set up, but calls are 'full speed' and not slow motion.

Andrew

Correct. Remember, the GUI is a code generator for Asterisk. You can turn off Apache after you get your settings entered, and Asterisk runs just fine... and it's never dog slow like the GUI. It's a very different design by a different group of extremely talented programmers.

bravonoj

Reaction score
Ward - I think sometimes it is easy for us non-linux users to forget that the GUI is just a code generator, myself I use the GUI almost completely to configure the box, but that's an interesting point about turning off Apache if it isn't needed. I think I could live with the slowness; aside from the initial setup, I wouldn't expect to be changing much after the install and configuration. Currently running asterisk 1.8 with FPBX 2.9 on an atom PC (which in its own right uses little to no power) but I may just take that box offline and set up my trunks (thanks for the Vitality specials!) on the RPi2 and see how it goes - I suspect it will handle my needs fine - no more than 2 concurrent calls at any time as it is a home/home office setup.

I saw this covered in previous posts, and it looks like the way to truly "upgrade" would be to update my current atom box to 2.11 and then do a backup/restore to the new RPi2 box. Think I'll just redo everything, it'll give me a chance to clear out the Cisco cobwebs (eww...glad I ditched those things) and have a sparkly new pbx running.

In your setup tutorial for the RPi2, you mentioned having a spare SD Card on hand for a full backup - how would I do a complete clone of the card, do you have any advice on the best way to accomplish that one?

thanks again for all your work and your team's work for these projects!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.