TIPS Problems with VirtualBox on Linux Platform

wa4zlw

Reaction score
Hi folks - thought I would start a new thread instead of posting in the developers Virtualbox gui thread

I installed ubuntu but could not get VB going even with the CLI commands. I installed ubuntu desktop and it boots but the user/pwd prompt comes and disappears. Tried this using mini-x64.iso and enabling the desktop and then downloaded the desktop iso. sames results.

Being out of time since I need to get this back into production, I tried to install centos 6.6 and it fails on or just after the boot loader step.

Error:

Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated.

failure:

repodata/.................-primary.sqlite.bz2 from anaconda-CentOS-201410241409.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

[exit installer] [edit] [retry]

I also have a difficult time getting it to read the image off the usb flash which on centos is /dev/sdb and ubuntu is /dev/sda.

At this point I just want to get back to where we were with PIAF GREEN on this same Foxconn box; 1.8ghz cpu; 60gb SSD, 4gb ram.

From someone who wrote embedded software for 20+ years and doing networking now, I am beyond frustrated.

I shouldnt have to burn a CD and connect a USB CD drive to this box to make this work. I am sure when we installed GREEN on here it was with a USB flash.

(of course that was a different version of CentOS I wonder if I should regress to 6.5) or if someone can explain why ubuntu desktop hung I'd try that one more time.

:-(
THannks in advance.

Leon

wa4zlw

Reaction score
That's helpful and funny ward :) I hate windows; I was an os/2 person. but that aside what do you suggest? I appreciate everything you guys do and always seems to be a black cloud hanging over me lately :-(

Thanks leon

wa4zlw

Reaction score
I burned a CD before leaving house and it got further headed home will check anyone have any ideas on the ubuntu desktop problems? Also why with the flash is used? The Instructions are simple enough but seems I always find the errors :)

Fairwood136

Reaction score
Have you ever used a Bootable USB utility?

I seem to often have issues with burning images onto disks. In the last few years, I typically use YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Integrator) http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ to burn my ISOs onto a 60 GB USB. I probably have a good dozen OSes and Recovery Utilities currently sitting on my USB drive.

And it loads the ISOs soooo much faster than burning a disk.

--Tom

wa4zlw

Reaction score
Hi there yes I used a few different flash utils . That's not the problem it was during install that is when I had a problem

I'll bookmark that link though it's always good to have more utils

Thanks Leon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.