FOOD FOR THOUGHT ARI access for users, HOWTO? and fail2ban "trigger-happy"

jd01

Reaction score
One issue leads to another... First, my system:
CentOS 6.6 minimal install, PIAF green install, Incredible PBX 11 install.
PIAF Installed Version = 3.0.6.6
FreePBX Version = 2.11.0.43
Running Asterisk Version = 11.16.0
Asterisk Source Version = 11.16.0 MODIFIED
Dahdi Source Version = 2.10.0.1
Libpri Source Version = 1.4.15
IP Address = 192.168.1.70 on eth0
Operating System = CentOS release 6.6 (Final)
Kernel Version = 2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64 - 64 Bit
Incredible Version = 11.10

So from the my main PIAF portal, I click on "Voicemail & Recordings" (as "User") and I get a login/password dialog which I assume is for the extension login into the ARI. As it turns out, it is simply for the login to my main PIAF portal. Only THEN, do I get the login dialog for the ARI.

Isn't there a way for users to go directly to the ARI? I don't want them to have a double-login. Further, I don't want to give out the "maint" password just so the can get to the ARI and look at their own extension features.

Second. In determining that the first dialog was NOT the ARI login, I entered the wrong login/password, twice, then cancelled the dialog, at which point fail2ban locked out my IP (and this is on the same LAN as the server). It is quite overkill IMHO to lockout an IP with only 2 failed login attempts plus a "cancellation" of the dialog box.

How can I edit this behavior to allow a larger number of attempts as users will be locking out their computers all the time under this "trigger-happy" condition.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Open your browser, and connect to: pbxIPaddress/recordings/ ...this should take you directly to the ARI login portal.

Drag the little icon in the browser address field down to the Title bar, so that there is now a direct link, just a click away.

jd01

Reaction score
connect to: pbxIPaddress/recordings/ ...this should take you directly to the ARI login portal.
That's the issue: It does NOT.

First, one has to login as if logging in to to FreePBX itself, using the "maint" username.. Only after that, am I presented with the Login dialog page for the ARI.

LesD

Reaction score
I believe that this is an original design issue in that the ARI has been implemented as part of the regular security and therefore needs an Admin login before the appropriate pages can be accessed. So that whole are is really useless for the end user.

It has been mentioned here before and I think there has been mention of a complete redesign of the ARI that is in the works that will also solve this problem.

jd01

Reaction score
..well that kind of sucks, and makes the ARI useless for users, which is its' purpose afterall..

..So, if I DO NOT install Incredible PBX over PIAF Green (as I did), do you think that direct access to the ARI page would then work?
Or would I still have this issue?

LesD

Reaction score
I do not know which version was going to have this change so others will have to answer that.

I too would love to be able to let users do their own thing.

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_NOBODY_
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.