FOOD FOR THOUGHT g729 sounds bad

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
Probably. You haven't said what your sip provider or your phones support, but those are fairly safe and decent choices.

i dont use a sip phone well kinda its that zopher on android and i also send calls to external cell phone my provider is Vitelity & google voice

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Well that makes it simple. Google voice is uLaw and vitelity supports uLaw, aLaw, GSM and G729a. So uLaw is probably the best to choose.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

A point to note about g711 vs g729

simplistically, g729 compresses the voice using less bandwidth, g711 doesn't. When you drop a packet with g711 (ulaw & alaw) you lose about 20ms of voice which the human ear can hardly detect. When you drop a packet with compressed codecs, you lose about 100ms of voice, which the human ear can detect.

So on a connection that drops packets, e.g. 3G, then g711 usually gives the better experience, given that there is enough bandwidth for the call, whereas g729 and GSM can become unusable on an unstable connection, at least that is my experience.

In my opinion, the time when g729 is most useful is when bandwidth is very expensive such as satellite connections or countries where bandwidth is expensive.

Joe

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know of any hardphones using Opus? Sounds quite a bit better than G.729 and no license required. Probably the most sophisticated codec out there right now. A few softphones have it but I haven't found any hardphones other than Grandstream GXV3240 and 3275 which are android multimedia phones. Not really interested on those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.