FOOD FOR THOUGHT GPL Repository - Incredible PBX

Reaction score
Ward,

First Thank You, Thank You, Thank you (and the team) for your tireless efforts on all the flavors and incarnations of PIAF but especially now for your herculean efforts that are pushing back the Freepbx -Sangoma misbehavior that ultimately could have sunk everything.

I now read the almost weekly Nerd Vittles releases as if they were critical intelligence reports from the "front" only your reports come with solutions!

I was wondering if one of our partner-sponsors might be willing to host a GPL repository for the modules rather then everyone potentially building their own.

What might be the challenges in doing something like that?

P.S. I'm having sleepless nights trying to decide which GUI to use when but I like them both depending on the application.

billsimon

Reaction score
Github is where all serious open source projects live. Modules can be done as subprojects of the parent.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Github is where all serious open source projects live. Modules can be done as subprojects of the parent.

Yes, but...

The FreePBX Devs chose a secret, proprietary repo structure to integrate into the GUI. We've added scripts to convert from GitHub to the proprietary format, but it's still a multi-step process.

Reaction score
Yes, but...

The FreePBX Devs chose a secret, proprietary repo structure to integrate into the GUI. We've added scripts to convert from GitHub to the proprietary format, but it's still a multi-step process.

Wonder if the top levels of Sangamo know whats going on. They may be trusting the old Freepbx management and are in the dark. Maybe a legal letter would wake them up.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Sorry to say but, based upon the number of hits Nerd Vittles gets from Ottawa, Canada, it would not appear that they're operating in the dark.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Is there an opportunity here to take some modules that were in older builds that were perhaps open that ended up disappearing or being tweaked to be in commercial offerings and put them into your public repository?
I just read about someone wanting the ability to do "extension routes" - and I swear at one point that was available to all.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Sorry to say but, based upon the number of hits Nerd Vittles gets from Ottawa, Canada, it would not appear that they're operating in the dark.

Sangoma's in Markham not Ottawa; I have a client less than a mile from their office. Ottawa is where Nortel used to be. You might have someone at Avaya spying on you :) But they aren't operating in the dark.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Is there an opportunity here to take some modules that were in older builds that were perhaps open that ended up disappearing or being tweaked to be in commercial offerings and put them into your public repository?

Absolutely.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
GPL-repo.tar.gz code updated on SourceForge this morning to get the final kinks out of the interface to version 12 GitHub modules. Specifically, the repo.php and src folder need to be refreshed if you've already begun your adventure. There was (another) naming change of modules which caused a hiccup loading GitHub updates downloaded with git-grab12. See Nerd Vittles tutorial for proper setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.