FOOD FOR THOUGHT G.729 for Raspberry Pi 2

malcolmd

Guru
Reaction score
Howdy,

So what's the level of interest in Digium's commercial modules for the RPi2?

Show of hands, who needs/needed G.729 for the RPi/2 to the point where they'd be willing to pay for it?

And, if you did, how many Pi's do you have deployed?

Cheers

lowno

Guru
Reaction score
I thought that g729 didn't work with the ARM chip in the RPi?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It doesn't yet. That's the reason for the inquiry.

adorah

Reaction score
I didn't think about using G729 for the previous PI or even for the Beagle Bone Black. Their CPU wasn't powerful enough. It is different with PI 2.
I would gladly pay for 4-6 licenses per unit. We sell a few units a month for the SOHO and home markets. We in Israel still have too a narrow bandwidth for uploads so G729 is very useful

dziny

Guru
Reaction score
Just an info. I have tested previously g729 on v1 of PI. With a bit of optimization it can handle up to 5 concurrent calls. Note, I have tested the "free" version with sources here https://bitbucket.org/samm_hg/asterisk-g72x/ which I recommend to compile on your own. Don't use it for production if you are in the US as you really need to licence g729. The "testing" however shows that g729 on PI is not such a bad idea, it does work fine for a small setup where you might be using the PI.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Problem is there's nowhere to purchase a G.729 license for those in the U.S. Digium apparently isn't interested in the ARM platform.

dallas

Reaction score
Yes, I'd also pay $10 each for a couple of G.729 licenses.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.